Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

floor scratching

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lucyh, May 6, 2011.

1. Lucyh

Lucyh PetForums Member

Hello,

One of my cats has started scratching the floor next to his food bowl, sometimes moving the bowl and then scratching as if he's trying to dig a hole in the floor :confused:

I'm not sure if it's connected to when I give him something he doesn't like, I think sometimes it's when he hasn't eaten much but he seems to be doing it more often so I'm not sure if that's it.

Any ideas what he's trying to do or say??

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

It's very common for cats to try and cover their food and I believe it is to hide it from other animals which in the wild would try to steal it.
    Mind you I agree that it seems to be a reaction to something they don't like.
    'Mum, why have you given me this? It tastes like poo so I'm going to treat it like poo!' :D

3. Lucyh

Lucyh PetForums Member

:) That's what i thought he could be saying!

I hope he stops, he's going to ruin my floor! :p

4. crumbles

crumbles PetForums Junior

My cats do this after they've had enough food, I always think they're saying -that's enough for now, save the rest for later. They also do it if we leave our food lying around, one of my cats very kindly covered my piece of toast with the mail the other day!

5. Steph_Mitsy

Steph_Mitsy PetForums Member

6. Lucyh

Lucyh PetForums Member

Yes I'll probably get a mat, just wondered what he was doing! Sounds like it's common enough though...

7. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Ours are spoilt - the girl does this most days but the boy wolfs his down (maybe the girl is trying to hide it from him!)

Anyway, as they eat on a laminate floor, I've got a flat cardboard box underneath them so they don' get cold, then newspaper to catch any flying food / water (good for scraping too), then a plastic mat!

8. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Mine do it all of the time..i was puzzled at first but its normal..;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice