UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are going off again. Buddy's not happy again. They are loud too. Dreading bonfire night.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For all those dogs and people who hate fireworks I'm focusing on torrential rain for the 5th nov and the week leading upto it and after it. Hopefully then less of them going off!

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Aw i know how you feel.

I live opposite a field and there is a shop set up on there at this time of year that sells those big ones and sets them off!!!

Alfies hearing is really sensitive so ive given him a zylkene and an adaptil is on.

Dont make a fuss with him as he is a puppy he might not get too scared hopefully!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ugh, I am dreading bonfire night! Thankfully Sox will have both me & OH this year so that should help calm him. Normally it's just me & he's on guard anyway to protect me & the house.. Hearing is extra sensitive!

Our neighbours (Despite KNOWING Sox is wound up by fireworks), quite thoughtfully held their own little firework party. Not only did they frighten Sox, but they frightened me too when they started being a bit half-arsed and the fireworks were exploding in our tree!! I was not impressed. Sox was on edge ALL night. It was just awful.

Here's hoping for some heavy rain all week!

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
I've emailed my local mp again asking for a ban on public use. The current laws in place are clearly not working as no-one seems to be able to wait for the bonfire weekend.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
One of the consolations about having dogs trained to the gun is that they are used to loud bangs so I have no problems with fireworks. In fact my last spaniel, Bracken, would often sit and stare up at the sky as if he expected a bird to drop out of it, or so it sometimes seemed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got McKenzie at the end of October and fireworks didn't bother her at all when she was that young, she just took it all in her stride as if it was completely normal, it was great. Last year when she was 1 she wasn't particularly bothered by them either, she'd bark a bit but was easily distracted by a kong and the TV up loud. I'm waiting to see what she will be like this year.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
They have ben going off all night here. Thankfully alfie has slept through.

Maybe a combo of the zylkene etc and the fact he runs around all day that he wears himself out for bed.

I also have a little trick for his ears too!!!!;)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Grrr I hate them! Millie loves them! She loves the bangs and barks at them constantly. Luckily we haven't had any yet this year but we dread bonfire night every year! Millie sits and watches them from our window. We have a gorgeous view over swansea and swansea bay and we get free firework displays from our window lol.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
If you don't make a fuss he should be fine. One great thing about coming to work with me as a puppy is that Kilo was acclimatised to all sorts of bangs and gunshots, even tanks driving past and doesn't show any interest in bangs at all now. If he jumped at anything particularly loud as a young puppy I just carried on playing / walking / working etc as if nothing was happening.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you don't make a fuss he should be fine. One great thing about coming to work with me as a puppy is that Kilo was acclimatised to all sorts of bangs and gunshots, even tanks driving past and doesn't show any interest in bangs at all now. If he jumped at anything particularly loud as a young puppy I just carried on playing / walking / working etc as if nothing was happening.
I try not to make a fuss. It's hard not too though. He's nearly mastered the puppy dog eyes.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I try not to make a fuss. It's hard not too though. He's nearly mastered the puppy dog eyes.
It is hard, but just play a nice game or something to distract and keep the mood light, or give a Kong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is hard, but just play a nice game or something to distract and keep the mood light, or give a Kong.
He's getting very good with his kong lol. Too good in fact. Might try his kong though it lasts a few minutes lol.

·
Premium Member
33,954 Posts
They have just started here bloody things they drive me mad, lucky Dills is OK with them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.