Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flexi Lead or Other Brand

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PetLover88, Jan 15, 2012.

1. PetLover88

PetLover88 PetForums Junior

Do all yous guys use flexi brand leads or is there another brand i can buy that is of better quality and cheaper?

Thanks Guys :)

2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

If you want a cheap lead don't get an extendable lead.

My girl is 21Kg and I use a large or Giant Flexi - Personally id be prepared to buy at least one size larger than flexi recommend.

I have only ever used Flexi and would avoid any 'cheaper' alternatives.

3. abbieandchi

abbieandchi PetForums Senior

I can't recommend a good lead because I walk a Chihuahua ;)

But I definitely wouldn't recommend flexi-leads. I've only ever heard bad stories about them and they're quite dangerous in all honesty. I'm sure someone will be along soon with some good suggestions though :)

4. Milliepoochie

9/10 Only dangerous in the wrong hands and when not used correctly :rolleyes:

Ive had more collars / fixed leads fail than Flexi's.

5. PetLover88

I currently use a flexi lead, but i think iv went through around 1 a year for each of my dogs, usually due to chewing but i just want something stronger. I might just move to standrad lead seems to be the only option :(

6. abbieandchi

abbieandchi PetForums Senior

I think I'm just biased :eek:
    When I was about 14 my friend had one and threw a stick for her dog, she threw it too far and wasn't paying attention, the dog ran so hard that it pulled the lead really tight and she dislocated her shoulder :(

I've also seen people with them really loose walking around main roads :rolleyes:

7. Milliepoochie

Hate to be rude but you have to be pretty stupid to pay fetch with a dog on one lol :nonod:

I'm biased to :001_tongue: I use one daily in winter with Millie. Just irritates me when people say they are dangerous - Like any tool its the users which make them dangerous (Like you said letting dogs walks 8m away from you next to roads.) its not a flaw with the product but an idiot on the end of a lead ;)

8. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I would never use a cheap flexi alternative :nonod:

We bought one for MIL's staffy x jrt, he's about 15kg, is said up to 30kg, as soon as he hit the end of it the mechanism inside broke and smashed through the casing, leaving me holding half a handle!

Luckily he has good recall!

9. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Regular leash imo. I hate extendable leashes with a passion after too many bad encounters with them. Usually due to the moron on the other end but I've also seen the mechanism fail several times and wouldn't trust them one bit.

I used a long line with Rupert who couldn't be off leash rather than risk him hitting the end of a flexi and either breaking it or yanking the bulky handle out of my hand.

10. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Stick to the Flexi Lead main brand and make sure you get the right size for your dog.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USING A FLEXI LEAD (despite what the majority on here always say)

Just use it responsibly

I've had the same flex lead now for 16 months and Charlie is almost a 20kg dog. He never chokes himself on it - but just like ANY lead if your dog pulls he'll pull with this too, he's never been out of my control, the mechanism is sturdy, you can lock the line just as fast as you can grip a standard lead tight in your hand...

#10 Helbo, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  11. Barkie

Barkie PetForums Senior

I've read that most dogs give up trying to chew a chain link lead after a while, with a bit of encouragement not to thrown in, I don't like them or flexi-leads for training to walk nicely but it might be worth a go to save you a shed-load on leads thereafter.

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Deed not lead!

I'd personally never use any extendable apart from a branded Flexi. I also think it's wise to replace them periodically if they are heavily used. As with most things really.

Milliepoochie likes this.
  13. PetLover88

From the responses they are very mixed but yeh i suppose its down to personally expierence the same as anything. I will stick with my flexi's as they have done me okay considering, its not the leads fault my dogs like to chew them haha I love the immediate response you get on this forum, only been a member 2 days and i feel part of the family haha

14. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

I used a flexi lead, the proper brand, summetime I think its called, I have the smallest one cuz Molly is tiny...
    I wouldn't use a cheap alternative if I was you, I did once, and although it wasn't too dangerous, it was annoying and a waste of time and money... The day after I brought it the mechanism broke and the lead wouldn't ravel back in, so I had to wrap the lead round my hand...

15. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Ive used flexi leads for years and never had an accident with them , accidents are 99% time user error ie, idiots..

I also use one a size bigger than my dogs weight suggests.

In all the time Ive used them only one has ever failed and I sent that back received a new one from them with a box of goodies and their sincere apologies.

It is a case of careful use and good management..

16. PetLover88

I wouldnt ever consider and cheap and nasty one EVER, i was just curious to see if anyone had any news on a new reputable brand to try out, iv seen many small pet shops selling cheap own brand ones, by simply looking at them and the weight i could tel it would break under any pressure even my hamster would no doubt break it never mind my two dogs lol

17. Milliepoochie

I agree :)- Its about using it responsibly.

For instance in my opinion a dog shouldn't be running in a manner which could allow the handle to be pulled from your hand or excess shock to be placed on the mechanism :nonod:- The fastest Millie is allowed to go is a trot.

Also not letting your dog gnaw or chew at the handle or chord / tape as well as keeping it clean / dry - After a walk in the rain ours is always extended and left out to dry as per manufacturers recommendations.

Theres just as many or more idiots out there who cause accidents through dogs off lead with no recall / long lines.

18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

And most of the times that's where they are.

I really hate to see large dogs on them in the street.

We have the very large one for Dillon for off road walking, but would never use one any where never road.

I sometimes think owners are play Russian Roulette with them.

But if you must have one, get the best, cheap is an accident waiting to happen.

19. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

We use an extendable lead when in open areas (slip lead when walking on pavements) - would never get any other brand than Flexi. They cost more but we've never had a problem with them. We're got the one with the webbing type lead rather than the ropey one.

20. PetLover88

Well after all feedback i think il just stick to my flexi leads as they seem to be a hit with most fellow posters :p thanks for posting people :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice