Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flexi lead gone wrong

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Irish Setter Gal, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Just been at the vets when an emergency was bought in, heart sinks when you recognise the dog being carried in, even if you don't personally know the owners as I didn't.

Dog had been on a flexi lead and just ran into road and was hit by a van. The kind driver of the car behind stopped to take the dog and owners to the vets.

Lady owner was severely traumatised, just stood there not knowing what to do or where to go as they whisked her little dog away. Couldn't leave her so had to go and hold her and she burst into tears, poor thing, naturally I started crying too.

I only know her from sight up the park, never really stopped to chat, but always had her dog on a flexi lead and sort of used to follow it around the park - weird sight, owner trotting behind her little dog going wherever he went or lead her.

As I paid for my dogs treatment, I asked the receptionist if it was [sad face or happy face] and she shook her head.

Really upset at that one ... poor owners. The kind lady who bought them to the vets in her car was also in shock too, traumatic for all.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That sounds awful; I hate seeing dogs on flexis near roads, one shot over the road in front of me the other day when the owner wasn't paying attention to try and greet another dog. One emergency stop later with Kilo thrown against his crate and yelping and me shaking with adrenaline and the man noticed, gave me a quick 'thumbs up' and went on his way. I would have been distraught to have hit the dog.

It sounds as if you and the car driver were as supportive and lovely to the woman as you could possible have been; she was very lucky to have met folk that cared in such a horrible situation.

3. JonoBeagle

JonoBeagle PetForums Member

Whatever happened it is so sad!

No one is at fault, but at least the driver had the heart and soul to help them out! There are plenty who would just disappear and think nothing and leave the two of them there with the poor lady in complete shock.

A horrible thing to happen, but at least all are decent people. :(

4. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Such an awful thing to happen, a shock for the driver and the owner..

Yet another 'tool' being misused..
    I use flexi leads for two of mine ..Never long on the road, only in the park so they can have a sniff and poo in a relaxed manner without being on top of each other.

We have strict leash laws so they cant be let loose.

5. Cloud&JaysMum

Cloud&JaysMum PetForums Senior

Very sad story :(

I have to say personally i am not a fan of flexi leads. I don't use them but its not just those you have to be aware of. In our village we have pavements that are very narrow and i have to be so careful with both my dogs. Jasper with his poor eyesight and Skye as she does tend to get bouncy when the wind blows up her bottom :eek:: or a large vehicle drives past. On those particular bits of pavement i have to use very short (almost to the collar) leads to ensure they dont flip into the traffic..... we cant avoid those areas on our walks either :mad::mad:

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Poor woman and poor little dog.:(
    I hope it didnt suffer..
    I always worry seeing loose flexi's on the street. Mine stays in my bag til we get to the park and then it goes on, I dont even trust them in the locked position TBH.

7. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

A horrible story and poor dog :(:frown2:

I use a Flexi Lead daily and this just goes to show how dangerous they can be when not used properly. :frown2:

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

If I drive past a dog on a flexi I always slow down, just in case. Even when they are supposed to be locked, I wouldn't trust them. A tug from a big dog and they could come unstuck.

Poor woman, poor you.

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Snap we always slow down you never know and sadly this shows it :(
    Poor dog and owner

10. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Poor dog:( feel so sorry for everyone involved

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

They are great for a dog who cannot be let off lead because he will take off. My mongrel spent most of his life on one because of this, but never near the road. They are also useful for young puppies just out in an open space, just to get him used to things before you risk letting him off.

But I wouldn't use one for anything else I don't think.

12. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

Thats horrible . poor doggy :(
    Can anyone reccomed one for my BC . only want to use it in open area but so we can be aware if other dogs are
    near. Hes ok offlead .but not 100% with other dogs anymore
    It needs to be upto 20kg but i dont like the string ones .i want the tape one iykwim

13. rona

rona Still missing my boys

14. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

so sad :(

I always use a flexi for Diesel, but he doesnt pull and I keep it locked near roads, I use one on the sibes at the field but wouldnt trust it with them near the road even when locked.

i have a regular lead in my bag incase i need to tie him up

15. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

So very sad. :(

I do love flexi leads, they are fantastic tool, however like any tool, they can be misused. I would never use a flexi lead on a road, even a locked one. I would always use a fixed length lead and then swap over to a flexi when we reach the park or field.

16. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I honestly wish they'd ban them for use on the streets. I've seen the locking mechanism break on too many for me to trust them near a road. Plus you get the idiots with their dogs at full length of the flexi on a busy road. I've had several flexi leash injuries thanks to this type of user.

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

And they get wrapped round people's legs if they are trying to get away!

they have outlawed walking dogs off lead along roadsides, but people still do it, so banning them would make no difference. I once had a samoyed jump onto my lap in the car with an hysterical woman running along behind on the flexi lead! It was quite funny, but could have been a different story had he chosen someone who was afraid of dogs.

18. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

That is so awful :( I get so upset about stories like this! I saw a lady walking a tiny little puppy on a flexi by a road just the other day and I really wanted to say something :( It was so young and wouldn't know any better than to just dart into a road :(

19. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

And cause dog fights when one dog gets the leash wrapped around another dog. Makes breaking the fight up almost impossible too as the dogs are basically tied together!

A dog at full length on a flexi on the road might as well be off leash really. But you're right, the leash laws aren't enforced so it would do little to stop people using them.

20. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

In town and just bumped into the lady who drove them to the vets ... very small world. She said the lady was distraught on the drive in. She witnessed it and said that out of nowhere the dog was across in the middle of the road and the driver in front, not going fast at all, had no chance of stopping in time. Nobody knew quite what to do and it took about 5mins for some action to be taken when she volunteered to take them to the vet. Lady owner had been in the middle of the road cuddling her dog. She left them at the vets after she was told the dog hadn't survived, but at least she did more than others would have done in similar circumstances.

Sad rotten day, but thanks for the comments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice