Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flease Back

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mr.stitches, Jul 29, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

Pippin was de flead at the end of June, but she now has eggs on the top of her nose and some fleas...she is not due to be de flead again though until the end of August.

Were going to give her a flea bath and wash all her bedding out, but how soon can we give her the Frontline again?

Thanks

PS God knows why i cant spell fleas properly!

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

This is one reason why i have stopped using frontline i was having to reaply with 3-4weeks which i felt was abit much seems as you can only put in the same place im nervous of putting something chemical on the same spot over and over

Ive just started to use 4 fleas tablets as it kills fleas when you see them as we dont normal have a flea problem as the cats are always covered with the same tablets and flea collars

3. mr.stitches

That may be an idea. Im the same as you, i dont want to burn Pips skin or harm her with the Frontline. But I cant keep on using it whenever I see fleas. No idea where Pip has got them from, just appeared this last couple of days.

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Perhaps she has built up an immunity to frontline, ask your vet if they could suggest another treatment, mine are done every 3 months.
    LOL at spelling fleas, I have that happen with some words, and end up using one I can spell:D

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

we had a problem until feb as one of our cats was in and out of the vets a few times a week and came back with fleas and it was pain and its been hard work to get rid of them

the 4 flea tablets work within 15mins aswell! Zebs had fleas from one of his friends before was fine one day the next dag had massive ones they were mutant fleas i think lol

6. mr.stitches

i surprise myself sometimes with some of my spelling!

id love to know how the fleas start...i shall look into that 4 fleas though as it sounds good. is there a limit to how often you can use it? obviously if your dog was having fleas a lot, there may be an issue with health, but i just dont want to keep putting a chemical on her neck

7. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

The 4 fleas tablets are great and can be given every 2 weeks if needed for heavy infestation, they start killing them with in 15 mins and all dead with in 24hrs, we had a problem with them a few years ago and tried all sorts of treatments as all of my dogs have had some sort of allergic reaction to frontline at some point in their lives so refuse to use it now. The Bb Martin Flea Bombs are good for treating the house too.

Hope it works you can buy the tablets in either a pack of 3 for small dogs and puppies or a pack of 6.

Take care
    Sarah

8. mr.stitches

Thank you! I was actually going to ask what there is that I can use on furniture and around the house, as i cant really put my sofa in the washing machine!

9. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Indorex is excellent for treating carpets and house hold furniture, can be purchased from your vet or from online (which is probably cheaper).

Animal Medicines - Indorex Household Flea Spray

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

flea bombs are fab :D

11. rona

rona Guest

Are you sure you haven't got a hedgehog in the garden, she will pick up fleas easily from one, but they don't stay long on a dog

12. mr.stitches

Iv not seen any hedgehogs in our garden, although I know they are around the area. We do have a rabbit that frequents our garden! Has been named Cheryl by a neighbours son lol!

She does like to sniff and stick her nose in the ground so theyre probably using her nose as a runway!

I like the idea of being able to use a spray around the house, makes things a lot easier.

13. mr.stitches

14. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

Hi, Can i please hyjack this thread and ask a flea related question myself?

I have a cat and a foster dog and almost 2 weeks ago I noticed the dog was scratching alot. He has been given a program tablet and the cat has been frontlined. I also bathed the dog using a flea shampoo. I have put flea powder on the carpets, used flea spray on carpets, upholstery, the dogs bed and on the tops of our beds as the cat sleeps on them. i am hoovering every day and combing the dog with a flea comb every other day and crushing what comes off (usually only 4-6 fleas a time). The cat has been combed once as she hates being combed.
    The problem is we still have fleas. How long does it take to eradicate them? Any other ideas i can use? I am sick to death of them and I need to get rid of them because I am supposed to be fostering another puppy at the end of the week and we need to be clear.

Please any help would be much appreciated

15. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

mr stitches yes those are the ones :)

kdlang i would try a flea bomb or two they work really well all living things would have to be removed but they really do work, i'd also again use 4 fleas tablets they really do kill them within 15mins they do them for cats aswell which work just aswell!

16. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

Would i be able to use the 4 fleas tablets now tho as the dog only had his last program tablet on 24th july

17. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

Oh and how long do you have to leave the room for?

many thanks

18. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Programme does not treat infestation of flea's it's only supposed to prevent them, so hasn't worked very well has it ?

I'd just give your dog a 4 fleas tablet anyway, although I myself have never used them but do know they work, brother uses them on his Cats & Dogs and within seconds you can see them dropping off.

Just a word of caution with them though as many that use them here haven't mentioned it, they will make your dog itch and they will start to scratch almost non stop within the first 30 minutes of using them and I found that distressing to watch when my brother used them on his Dogs & Cats.

19. Nicci

Nicci Guest

2-3 hours remove ALL your animals and then come home and open all the windows and wipe up all the residue from them, personally I wouldn't recommend, been told they are messy.

What the packets don't tell you is you have to use another bomb within a few of weeks of using the first one as any eggs that were in your carpets and furniture will hatch and the reinfestation will start again! Flea bombs kill fleas, and flea larvae, but NOT eggs.

I used Indorex in my house after cats came back with fleas a few years ago, I purchased mine from vets, treated all areas of the house with it and haven't had a problem since.

20. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

Thanks for your advice. I think it's the cat that has brought them in so will get some 4 fleas for her too. i think i will avoid the flea bombs and just continue spraying. Im not sure if mine deals with the eggs n larva as well as the fleas so i wil look into getting another spray.

Now for a really silly question. Are the fleas on cats different to the ones on dogs? I never thought they were but when i comb the dog i can get the fleas onto tissue and crush them easily they just seem to crawl but when i comb the cat they seem to jump away really quickly and i cant catch them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice