Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kittycats2, Aug 18, 2009.

1. kittycats2

kittycats2 PetForums Newbie

Well these little blighters have decided to take refuge in my 2 year old cat, I've flead him, put a new flea collar on and keep brishing him with a flea comb. Thankfully i seemed to have got rid, even at least for the time being...

need to know how to keep them away and how to get rid of them from the house?

Thanks

2. dootgirl

dootgirl PetForums Junior

Johnson's do a good spray for the house. Use it everywhere and wash all puss's bedding, and your sheets etc. if he sleeps on your bed. Hoover lots paying particular attention to skirting boards and down the side of sofas etc. Sounds like a big job, but once it's done you shouldn't have too many probs. Our vet also suggested treating our yard with an outside spray, as she spent a lot of time there, but don't know if that applies to you. If the Johnson's 4 fleas doesn't work, maybe try the vet for something stronger.

Hope this helps.:)

3. kittycats2

kittycats2 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice... I hoover almost every day but still see the odd one now and again :(

i've seen on the internet that you can buy "smoke candles" to eradicate fleas from the house... you strip a bedding etc and then light 1 candle per floor and let the smoke drift around...

has anyone used one of these before, do they work....??

4. 2crazycats

2crazycats PetForums Newbie

We had a bad infestation 2 years ago in the house which persisted for several months. I used a spray from the vet - can't remember its name - and hoovered loads.

Things got back to normal within a couple of months. There were occasional straddlers but with the cats fully treated, this helped cure the problem as the flea jumps on the cat and dies because of the treatment.

I used a combination of the flea injection (which stops fleas from laying viable eggs) and spot on which kills fleas. This may have been an overkill approach but it was WAR and I wanted to stamp it out.

No problems since and I just use spot-on now but I know what a pain it can be when you're in the middle of it. It drove me potty (especially as I had a newborn baby human in the house)!

Good luck.

5. 2crazycats

2crazycats PetForums Newbie

Re the smoke candles, I've not used ones I've bought myself but I did get a pest control guy in when the situation was at its worse and he let off a smoking candle thingy in each of the affected rooms and also sprayed the floors with a chemical.

It certainly worked for a while but fleas have a habit of lying dormant in tiny cracks so that is why I still had a problem with straddlers.

The thing is, if the cats are treated and are freely roaming the house, the fleas WILL die out because they will be attracted to the cat's presence and jump on.

I got my house back to normal in about five/six months. No fleas since! :D

Lib x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice