Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sequeena, Aug 6, 2009.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Poor Cotton. She's absolutely infested with fleas. I'm combing through her fur with a nit comb to get all the empty egg shells out (and picking up a few fleas along the way) and then I'm going to put Frontline on her.

And because she's white you can see the fleas even more. Poor baby :(

2. jdoevans

jdoevans PetForums Junior

Not sure if you need any more help but I have found a page about cat flea control here. Hope it helps, good luck!

3. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

yuk!! dont forget to treat the house/bedding,and fleas=tapeworms:eek:

4. Faerie Queene

Faerie Queene PetForums Member

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Awww poor baby :( bless her. Make sure you use something for your home too. xxx

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks all for the links and advice x

I've treated all 3 of my babies for fleas and ticks. Beds have been washed, carpets hoovered (thankfully most of my house is wooden flooring) and matresses etc have been hoovered.

She looks so much better already x

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Aww bless her! But if you have the stuff treat the house too. Because flea eggs drop off and can still live on wooden floors. Especially around the edges xxx

8. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Ahhh i had to deflea my house and kittys when Kira braught fleas into the house.
    Check the stuff your using as well. Because it should say what it kills. Some products only kill the adult fleas and some products only break the cycle. I had to use a flea powder to kill the adult fleas. Then a spot on the kill the larvae and eggs. (i made sure it was safe to use them at the same time but i did leave 24 hours inbetween just incase)
    And the only place in the house we had carpet in was the bedroom and we had to use a fogger to do the house because the fleas can actually live in the cracks of your wooden flooring (you know between the floor and the wall)

Fleas are a total nightmare to get rid off :eek:

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

rmember that you still need to treat the house as washing/hoovering only does the tip they are dirty little buggers and hide for months after *YUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK*

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

So I'm going to be doing a full deep cleaning tomorrow :eek:hmy:

The pack says 'for the treatment and prevention of flea and tick infestations and the control of biting lice' I'll see what happens but if she still has fleas I'll get some powder :yesnod:

11. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Lol :p:p Sorry :blushing: just thought id better fill you in with what i had to do before you find they have fleas again in a month or so :( I actually spent nearly 30 quid on flea stuff =/ but im sure theres cheaper ways of doing it lol if there is can someone tell me for if it happens again haha :p

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

£30? :eek: I thought £17 was bad enough :laugh:

13. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Hahah :p and that wasnt the expensive stuff either !! lol

14. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Just for my 4 cats.......6 pipettes (they only come in 3, 6 or 12) of Frontline and 4 single worming tablets from the vets cost me £35 :eek: and thats just the kitties! Everything is so so expensive here! You wouldn't want to know how much other things cost in the Island!!!

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Animals are so blimming expensive LOL

I bought the 3 pipette pack for her which cost £17. I completely forgot to get worming tablets, typical :rolleyes:

I can imagine things are so expensive :/

16. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Oh god. I only got my flea supplies from a pet shop. If i went to the vets it would have been double the price lol

17. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Everything is so expensive here! 1 litre of milk is £0.98, a single loaf of bread is about £1.40. I don't know how expensive it is around you area's but in the places our family friends are it is so much cheaper!

18. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Ahhh i guess it is a wee bit cheaper here yes :eek:

19. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

Aromatherapy oils such as Lavender or Rosemary are a good alternative to chemicals. Put a few drops in some water, dip the comb in the water and comb the cat.
    Brewers yeas combed through is also effective and can be safely ingested when the cat washes.
    Apple cider vinegar in the drinking water is good too (1 tsp per pint).
    To prevent further infestations, switch to a raw meat and bones diet. This makes the skin unattractive to fleas by altering the skin pH. And makes a very healthy and happy cat in the process.
    Best Cat Health

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I can pick up a value loaf of bread from tesco for 40 something pence :/ I can even get a freshly baked (half) baguette for 39p

I'm not sure how good aromatherapy oils are compared to Frontline etc. Seems a bit far fetched to me :/
    She's only 10 weeks old I think I'll keep her on felix for the minute not to upset her stomach (it's what the woman was feeding her)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice