Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Scouttie, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Senior

Just back from vet - scout has fleas.

horrified and feeling very guilty. I must have missed a treatment.

She has been treated and has some cream For a bite.

I have washed bedding. At 95 degrees, thrown out pillows and her bed, and sprayed mattresses, carpets, sofas and duvets Illiberally with Inforex.

what more should I do? I don’t want her to get more bites, and I am horrified that I live in a flea infested house.

2. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

@Scouttie Please don’t be horrified! The little buggers get everywhere & a lot of us have had them! You didn’t know and we all forget sometimes. Hoover a LOT! (Throw the bag straight into the bin outside, or empty outside)

I went over the top but I think aslong as you’ve treated her, washed things, used indorex & hoover you’ll be fine. It can take time for the fleas to go away - the larvae(or a certain part of the life cycle) are not effected by the spray and that’s why you need to hoover. Make sure you keep treating her on time every month and they should eventually die.

the fleas are SO HARD to see and find - i didn’t know Jasper had them and I’m sure other people are the same - it’s normal to feel guilty as they’re our family and we don’t want them hurt but you’ve found out & acted fast so please don’t be horrified and try not to feel guilty xxx

Scouttie likes this.
  3. Scouttie

Thank you. I always summed i would see them. I noticed she was biting at her back a bit, and was worried to was a cat bite.

bought her lots a treats from the pet shop and have cream for the bite.

Feel like my house is dirty. She sleeps my bed so worried they are deep in the mattress,

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's the pupae that the sprays don't kill, see: Pupal Window | R.I.P. Fleas

That website has excellent advice that applies as much to Indorex & Acclaim as to RIP Fleas.

Also, what is your usual flea treatment? Frontline / fipronil isn't effective now in some parts of the country.

5. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

My bad. My memory is terrible!

6. Scouttie

Usual treatment is broadline. I think it’s my fault, he hates getting it and wi haven’t been as strict as I should have been

7. OrientalSlave

Broadline uses Fipronil, no longer effective in some areas...

Scouttie likes this.
  8. Scouttie

I am in Ireland - The treatment is provided by they vet,

What should I ask for?

9. slartibartfast

slartibartfast Owned by the Overlords

Advocate works best.

Scouttie likes this.
  10. OrientalSlave

11. slartibartfast

slartibartfast Owned by the Overlords

Scouttie likes this.
  12. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Bless you, please don’t feel bad. Chances are, if you own a cat you will definitely have fleas at some point. If you’re not reactive to flea bites yourself then it will take much longer to realise your cats have them. Luckily (or rather, unluckily) I react very strongly to flea bites so I’ve usually found out we have them very early on. I swear by advantage spot on and R.I.P fleas house spray

Scouttie likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I use a reliable flea treatment preventatively, every month without fail, for my outdoor cats, and they have never had fleas all their lives. I would be shocked if they were to catch fleas tbh!

I mark the date on the calendar when the cats are due for their flea treatments to make sure I don't forget.

@OrientalSlave - Advocate treats for roundworms, hookworm and prevents heart worm, as well as treating for fleas, ticks and ear mites.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/advocate-80-for-large-cats-4-8kg

14. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Prinovox does fleas and worms, but not tapeworm. For tapeworm I just give her an extended break from the Prinovox about every 3 months and give a dose of Drontal or Millbemax. It doesn't contain Fipronil and doesn't upset Misty as much as Broadline used to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice