Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Helen catcat, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Helen catcat

Helen catcat PetForums Newbie

Our cat brought fleas back from the vet and we’re still not rid of them! We tried a spot on but it hasn’t worked and I know we can’t try again too soon to avoid overdosing. Tried hoovering and spraying the house. Agghh! I despair! I don’t know what to do now, any ideas please?

2. gemlin83

gemlin83 PetForums Newbie

Hello, thats sounds frustrating! Have you considered one of those flea collars? Not sure how they/if they work but may be worth a look.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Which spot-on did you use? Advantage is a good make and can be bought over the counter. If you used a make that contains the insecticide fipronil, it is no longer effective in some parts of the UK.

Have you used a good make of household insecticide in the home e.g. Indorex, Acclaim or RIP Fleas? The whole house needs spraying, room by room. Once is enough to last for a year.

Bear in mind the Pupal Window. No insecticide kills pupae, you have to wait until they hatch into adult fleas. Then they will be killed by the spot on, on your cat, or the insecticide you sprayed in the home. The frequent hoovering encourages the pupae to hatch.

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/pupal-window/

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/r-i-p-fleas-extra/

Empty your hoover bag into an outside bin every time you have hoovered.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Flea collars are actually quite useful for putting in the hoover bag to kill any fleas or eggs that are hoovered up. (cut collar into several pieces) :)

Unfortunately on a cat the collar can cause a nasty skin irritation on the cat's neck. The Seresto collars have been known to cause neurological issues, we have had several cases in the past of forum members' cats becoming very ill after wearing a Seresto flea collar.

5. gemlin83

gemlin83 PetForums Newbie

Wow, thats awful but very good to know! Thank you.

chillminx likes this.
  6. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

@chillminx what a fabulous tip! I haven’t used flea collars in years because about 20 years ago it caused such a severe irritation that my boys neck became bare! But I never would have thought of putting one in the vacuum.
    As for flea products, I always use what the vets are currently selling-they’re usually up to date with the products that work (they can also give you the appropriate dose for the age and weight of your cat) When we adopted our new kitten she came with fleas, so we used the advantage spot on and RIP fleas house spray

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice