Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Beth Kate, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Beth Kate

Beth Kate PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I don't know if this is the place to post regarding this but hopefully someone will have some knowledge.
    A few days ago we found out both our dog and cat had fleas, we're sure it's been at least a week or more by the quantity of fleas on their body and the amount their scratching. Though not major they are definitely there. We instantly put on 'spot on' on both animals which we assumed would begin to kill the fleas on their bodies but as today they seem even more infested than ever. We hoovered and sprayed the house with hand made vinegar spray the past two days keeping on top of the cleaning but the fleas seem to be more on the animals bodies. We have been out today and purchased foggers, sprays for both environment and pets, flea collars, powders for carpets, more spot on and pills.
    I just want to ask if we can begin with the pills today? I read it kills the fleas on the animals within the hour but I am concerned about overdosing which I have also read about. We put the spot on the animals but I fear because the brand was a cheap one from a pound store that they're not effective or even taking at all. Has anyone put a spot on and followed with a pill and had no issue, we plan on giving the pills, bathing with flea shampoo to eradicate any dead or potentially alive fleas. Keeping the animals in the bathroom whilst we Hoover, powder and spray the entire house.
    Any advice?
    We also have two indoor rabbits, I have thoroughly checked them I am not able to locate any fleas on them. We have purchased a spot on for them aswell but they are isolated in their own room and are hardly exposed, I know this is probably irrelevant as fleas can travel on our clothes.
    Thanks

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but for evey flea that is on your pet, there are at least a hundred more in various stages of the life cycle hudden in your home. You have a major infestation and these bob martin products wont help a jot.

Even more unfortunately, last year, the regulations on flea treatments changed and the strongest and best products on the market are no longer licensed for sale in the uk.

You really need to get along to your vet, who will be able to treat your pets with something that works.

I am not up to speed with the most effective home sprays on the market now - your vet, google or hopefully a PF member will be along with that info.

All i can say is, when you are armed with the best products on the market, you need to go at your house as if you are going into battle! You need to be moving furniture, vlearing any clutter, spraying very thoroughly and vacuumimg into every crevice. Get whatever can be washed in the machine washed at 60 degree at least. Bag up soft toys into sealed poly bags and store sealed for the entire flea life cycle.

If you have ever treated a child for headlice, you will know that as well as treatment, you have to be vigilent in washing, combing and checking for weeks after - it is like that for fleas but on a much bigger scale.

Good luck!

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice