Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by cazarty, Jul 16, 2009.

1. cazarty

cazarty PetForums Newbie

Hi, my cat Dotty is 6 months old and has not ben outdoors yet as is still waiting for her spaying op. Anyay he had her first lot of fleas a few weeks ago (must have caught them from someone's pet) so i treated her with the Frontline which cleared it all up straight away. i have noticed she has got them again but i cant give her the frontline as she still has just over a week until she can have the next lot. im not sure how she has got them again but its not nice to see her scratching. is there anything else i can use on her until next week?

Just so you know who im talking about here is a cute pic of my baby :)

Attached Files:

2. dootgirl

dootgirl PetForums Junior

I was convinced that my cat was in exactly the same situation, as she was scratching a lot 2 or 3 weks after frontlining. Did you see the fleas on her? I asked my vet, and they were confident that the fleas couldn't live on her within the Frontline month, but they could still bite her which made her itch as she has a flea allergy. Fleas are such a worry. Poor Dotty:(

3. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Hi there,

Well i think someone people are mis-lead about flea's.

If your cat has just started to go outside, then there is your answer about where she is getting them... :D

My vet (Im there often buying fleaing / worming / collars ect) has told me that frontline doesn't work?? :confused:

For my older cats they have given me the tablets, for the kittens they are giving me spray...???

hope this helps, sometimes it easier to ask your vets

4. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

I was under the impression that you used a tablet to et rid of fleas that are active and to use spot on solutions and flea collars to keep them away? Thats what I did and mine have been flea free since. ( And I used Frontline! :D)
    A lot of people rave about Frontline spray for kittens, as it's hard to find flea treatments suitable for 'ickle kitties!

I used these, which really worked:
    http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/c.../johnsons-4-fleas-cat-and-kitten-tablets.html

I gave my cats a tablet each, then flea sprayed the house and washed and hoovered, then gave them another tablet 2 the day after.

#4 Anwen, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  5. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Hi there.

Spent over 2 hours discussing this with vet.

(Look at my other post / threads and you will understand why i am off with them from the start!)

But they have given me this stuff and its really good!
    i does take 24 hours to get round killing the flea's, but its doing its job!
    Should do as well as it is: £25.99 per 100mls lol

6. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i use the johnsons 4 fleas too as you can use it as often as you need

7. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

There is no point treating your cat for fleas if your not treating your home. The odd flea will live on a cat ...... it will lay eggs and they will drop on the floor ...... you kill the flea on your cat ...... little while later the fleas hatch out of the eggs ... hey presto your back to square one .... repeat cycle until thoroughly fed up, bored of fleas etc ....

Invest in a good household flea, tick and mite spray, following the intructions carefully. Treat cat once a month as per your vets reccommendations and if in doubt get a good flea comb and do it the old fashioned way BUT ALWAYS treat the house :D

8. cazarty

cazarty PetForums Newbie

ah thanks for everyone's comments. im off to the vets in the moring for dotty's spaying op, so will discuss this flea situation out. ;-)

Thanks everyone

9. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

you need to treat your house too!! my last cat had fleas and i had to sort out my house too with the stuff you get from the vets because they go in you carpets rugs pillows etc!! xx

10. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

Goo dluck with her speying, try not to worry, i know we all do though :)

My parents had five dogs at one point (toy breeds) and we only ever really treated the house. Granted they werent allowed upstairs for a couple of reasons, one being flea treatment so treating the house is a must. Good luck, im sure your vet will talk to you about the life cycle of fleas :)

11. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

any update with your cat?

would love to see an updated pictures of your feline fella.

12. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I have used frontline for years and have never had any fleas on my dogs or cats,ive read lots of comments on sites saying its not working on lots of animals,so am keeping fingers tightly crossed,my dogs mix with lots of dogs ,so i must be the lucky one that frontline works for.

13. nataliepompey1

nataliepompey1 PetForums Newbie

i agree with the flea comb, i had been in the same situation with my cat charlie, hes hes nearly 3 months old, and becuase he caught flea's off another cat i was treating him for the flea and not my home, in the end i wiped the whole house & bought loads of flea spray (bob martins is very good around £3-4 in asda) and bought a flea comb and just use that on him every night, it does work 100%! but hes still getting them, i think its the eggs as they are somtimes harder to remove:mad:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice