Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sniffley69, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Sniffley69

Sniffley69 PetForums Newbie

Help! I have 2 black cats and they both have fleas, the fleas are also in my house but smaller then the ones on the cats! I have used 2 bob Martin bug bombs, the cats have flea collers and I'm hovering everywhere at least 1 a day! I have laminate floor and 2 rugs, the cats don't go upstairs a either! I have used bob Martin and frontline spot on but there still here!! Can anyone let me know how to get rid???

#1 Sniffley69, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Bob Martin products are useless, and worse. Flea collars are a waste of time. Frontline doesn't work in many cases, according to reports. I'd suggest getting down to the vet's for some prescription medication such as Advocate. Advantage is also good. I think you can buy it online. There are cat-friendly sprays you can use on the house.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with CoCoTrio. Just to add - flea collars can be dangerous, as the chemicals in them can cause severe allergic reactions. There have been several cases of it mentioned on this forum, where the cats became very ill.

The best place for flea collars is cut into pieces and placed in the bag of your vacuum cleaner, where they may kill the odd flea or two you have vaccumed up.

If you get Advantage spot-on you will have no problem eradicating the fleas. (Advocate is the same thing with a round wormer added)

4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

You will need to be careful not to use too many products in a short space of time, they can make your cats very ill.

First thing to do is get the spray, Indorex, Acclaim or something similar and spray the entire house, try to do it when the cats are not in the room, although it is meant to be cat friendly it is still a chemical and can make them feel ill.

You should only need to use this once a year.

I would comb the cats and put the fleas in a bowl of water if you aren't able to treat them straight away, and I am not sure you should treat them immediately as they have had the other stuff on them.

5. Sniffley69

Sniffley69 PetForums Newbie

I've just been and got some stay kill to do the house tonight, I will
    Make sure the cats are out. I will get some advantage tomoz for the cats, I haven't treated them for about 3 weeks now and I have been combing them and putting the fleas in water. I will take off the flea collers as they don't seem to be working anyway. Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know how I get on! Is it right that the ones in the house look different from the one on the cats??

6. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Please check with the vet before you put any more flea products on your cats, most of them last 4 or 5 weeks regardless of how (in)effective they are, if you apply more in just 3, you may be overloading them.

PS, stay well away from ALL Bob Martin stuff, it's nasty, dangerous stuff, most off the shelf products like this are pretty ineffective too, best to stick with the products the vets sell, which you can get on line too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice