Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by monkeymummy32, Nov 21, 2012.

1. monkeymummy32

monkeymummy32 PetForums VIP

Great, Humf has fleas!!! I'm pretty sure he didn't have them before he went to the vets for his neutering op on Monday! Not happy! :(. Can anyone recommend a good flea treatment please? Do I need to treat the whole house?? Thanks in advance

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

advocate is good. he probably did get from the vets, one of my cats years ago caught fleas and he didnt have any before he went.

3. monkeymummy32

Thanks. Will get some of that then, and I'll also have to treat my other cat just in case too. Do you normally do anything about your house in case carpets, sofas etc have some on too? I seriously not impressed about it! He's laid here on my knee and because he has a lot of white fur I just started noticing black specks at the base of his fur when parted, then I saw a large flea!! Neither of my cats go outside so he must've picked them up from the vets, grrrrrrrrrr.

4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

advocate all cats the same time and spray carpets with indorex, this will get rid of them quickly.

5. monkeymummy32

Thanks, you're a star! Will wait till I see the vets tomorrow to make sure it's OK to give to Humf whilst he's recovering from his operation.

6. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

in the meantime a good old flea comb then squash the blighters.:)

7. monkeymummy32

Good idea, got a flea comb right here! Poor boy can't scratch himself properly because of the cone! :(

8. mum to 14 kitties

mum to 14 kitties PetForums Junior

I know its probably cruel but I have the little monsters, I find drowning an appropriate disposal.:mad:: Advocate is only available on prescription, Frontline is good and you can get it in chemists, super markets and on line. :smile5::001_smile:

Mandy

9. doujyr

doujyr PetForums Member

advantage is the same anti-flea treatment as advocate and doesn't need a prescription. i believe the difference is advocate contains another pesticide that is effective vs ear mites and worms, but if it's just fleas you want to treat then advantage is the same thing. i've heard that fleas are becoming resistant to frontline.

10. monkeymummy32

Thanks very much for all of your advice :). I've just got quite a bit of flea dirt from his fur & two fleas, using the comb. I took his cone off and gave him a good combing around his neck too - think he really appreciated it as he is now fast asleep on my knee! Will get some flea treatment tomorrow and use as soon as I'm allowed - not sure if it's safe to treat him so soon after his op.

11. mum to 14 kitties

mum to 14 kitties PetForums Junior

I have had these suspicions for a while as well, where can I get this advantage stuff from. I'm in the uk and get most of my cat products on line.

Thanks
    mandy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice