UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went in to check on my two kittens and I saw this black mark on one of their faces. I tried to wipe it away but it stayed, It then moved!! I picked off the bugger and squished it. I can't believe they've got fleas, they're indoor kittens.

I got them 2 weeks ago (was going to tell everyone on here as a surprise after their jabs and having them neutered). I was assured they were wormed and flea treated

It's odd because I didn't see any eggs in their furr untill today. I have been brushing them everyday and checking. It just seems they've popped up out of nowhere!

Please advise me on what treatment is the best, there's a carpet in the room as well that will need to be treated. I don't want anything too harsh for them cause they're only young.

Also I'll need to treat my other two cats, they haven't properlly sociallised yet ( just having a peek through the door) but i'm taking no chances. I've never had fleas!

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
How old are the kittens? It would be best to take advice from the vet as to what to use. I use Advantage for my cats, but it is very strong and I would not fancy using it on kittens under the age of say 3 mths personally.

Sounds like the kittens had fleas when you got them, caught from their mother probably. You wouldn't see the eggs in their fur, only the adult fleas or the flea excrement (dirt).

It is possible the breeder did de-flea them but not well enough to eradicate all the fleas, so they have had time to breed in the 2 weeks since you got the kitties.

·
Registered
39,165 Posts
i would also treat your home, as you may of carried them into different rooms,its best to be safe.:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies, I found 7 fleas between them today. There's no sign of any more but there's dirt and stuff.

I've got the 4Fleas Kitten treatment. Which is a tablet and gets rid of the fleas within half hour. I put them in their cat carrier after taking the tablet and hoovered the entire room (cream carpet helps). After I did that I took one at a time and searched them, by that time the fleas had actually dropped off dead which was a result. Then combed them each for about an hour.

Will check tomorrow and if I see any i'm to give another tablet each. So far so good!

I've checked my other two cats and they haven't got traces of anything (they haven't been sociallised with the kittens yet) which i'm glad I did.

The kittens are 12 weeks old I checked the instructions on the leaflet inside the flea treatment and it's ok. I'm taking them to the vets next week to get their jabs and i'll get the vet to check them over :)

It's so odd that i haven't seen 1 flea until today. I combed them religiously since i got them, it makes them purr :) And didn't see even dirt in their furr. I'm so puzzled. I'll keep you updated and I hope they'll all go!

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
I would just say, as CollieMerles mentioned, it is best to spray the house with insecticide as well, as the larvae and pupae of the fleas will be hidden in cracks in the floor, under the skirting board, or at the edges of the carpet, ready to hatch out and jump on your cats.

Indorex or Acclaim are the best sprays to use. I would not use anything else as it might not be effective, or could be dangerous for you or the cats.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/parasites/f/FAQ_fleacycle.htm

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
I believe that something like 90% of the flea population is in the house itself rather than on the animals so it may well be that there were a few dormant eggs in that room and the presence of the kittens has triggered their hatching.
I agree that Indorex and Acclaim are very effective and you should treat the whole house.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paddypaws,chillminx - Thank you so much for your replies, I will definately get some of that. Are they both just as effective or is one better than the other? I really dont want anything dangerous. Can't bare anything happening to my cats again.

There are no sign of any fleas today, or eggs or dirt. I know that doesn't mean they're not there. They're also not scratching which is a relief for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.