UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teddy arrived yesterday along with several little friends. He had a bath as soon as I found them and I made sure he was completely soaked and the flea shampoo went eveywere including doing his face.

I was told he had had a flea bath the day he was rescues last sunday, and was done with frontline. As I said I bathed him again yesterday this morning while he has been sat on my knee I have seen another flea obviously eggs have hatched.

I have been combing him with a flea comb but only have a plastic one that is struggling to get it through his long thick coat.

Can I bath him again today?

I have flea drops but with him being done with frontline last week I don't want to over do it. I am going to have to go to [email protected] and see if I can get a metal comb. I don't eant all of my lot to get fleas as I'll never get rid of them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
According to the Frontline site, treatment lasts for a month.

It states "If you see fleas on your pet, and it has been correctly treated with FRONTLINE, the fleas have probably recently emerged from your environment and will soon be killed by FRONTLINE."

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is a rescue and only arrived yesterday none of my dogs have fleas and he hadn't been anywere other than at his rescuers house. He still had fleas on him when he arrived here fortunaltey I found them on him before he was allowed anywere near my dogs and had only been in the house a few minutes.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was bathed before he had frontline on as apparently he had thousands of them on him. he was then done with the frontline afterwards I abthed him yesterday with fkea shampoo as the last thing I want is my dogs to get fleas from him.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Bathing him after the spot on can interfere with the protection that's meant to last a month. Unless you use soap free, which I doubt flea shampoo is. So I'm just saying look into when it's safe to frontline again - maybe ask your vet.

But realistically the fleas are in your home now so you need to attack that side of it too. And if you're using spot ons, I'd give your other dogs a precautionary treatment.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bathing him after the spot on can interfere with the protection that's meant to last a month. Unless you use soap free, which I doubt flea shampoo is. So I'm just saying look into when it's safe to frontline again - maybe ask your vet.

But realistically the fleas are in your home now so you need to attack that side of it too. And if you're using spot ons, I'd give your other dogs a precautionary treatment.
I know the fleas are now in my house I have found one on him this morning and he went into the bath as soon as he was carried through the door yesterday as I saw a flea whilst trying to get him out of the cage in the car. The bedding and everything he had been in contact with in the car has been washed it went staright into the washer with flea shampoo instead of getergent.

All I want to know is it it too soon to bath him again not the pros and cons about whether the frontline the frontline gives has been affected as it obviously hadn't worked as he still had fleas on him.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
walk around your house with nothing on your feet, they tend to try the rear of your ankles, buggers to kill, hold between your fingers, fill a handbasin with clear water, immerse fingers in the water and release

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never do have anything on my feet I've not been bitten by anything yet. I've had him on my knee combing him fot about 2 hours and not been bitten but I think he's had enough now

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
All I want to know is it it too soon to bath him again not the pros and cons about whether the frontline the frontline gives has been affected as it obviously hadn't worked as he still had fleas on him.
Well sorreeeee! Geeze.

I assumed because you'd mentioned the Frontline that you'd want to not do anything to disrupt it's protection. As far as I know, these spot ons say that the fleas you find on your dog after the spot on will be killed within a few hours rather than immediately. So seeing a flea on the dog or in your house later doesn't automatically mean that the spot on hasn't worked.

I also assumed that your shampoo bottle would say the 'dosage' and how often you may bathe, or the companies website if you bought a well-known brand. Maybe the bottle has a helpline.

Maybe if you read up about the chemicals you were putting onto your dog first you wouldn't be getting ratty with me trying to relay the important bits to you. I wasn't going through the pros and cons. I was just trying to help keep your dog protected.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well sorreeeee! Geeze.

I assumed because you'd mentioned the Frontline that you'd want to not do anything to disrupt it's protection. As far as I know, these spot ons say that the fleas you find on your dog after the spot on will be killed within a few hours rather than immediately. So seeing a flea on the dog or in your house later doesn't automatically mean that the spot on hasn't worked.

I also assumed that your shampoo bottle would say the 'dosage' and how often you may bathe, or the companies website if you bought a well-known brand. Maybe the bottle has a helpline.

Maybe if you read up about the chemicals you were putting onto your dog first you wouldn't be getting ratty with me trying to relay the important bits to you. I wasn't going through the pros and cons. I was just trying to help keep your dog protected.
Please read the original post he was done with frontline a week ago and still has fleas now I saw the fleas on him before he even came into my house so I know they are not of any of my dogs. I can't read what it says on the frontline bottle because I don'e use it my dogs have never had fleas and I will not treat them for something I don't have a problem with

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Please read the original post he was done with frontline a week ago and still has fleas now I saw the fleas on him before he even came into my house so I know they are not of any of my dogs.
I did read and understand your original post.

As I've said - as far as I'm aware - spot ons provide protection for one month. They kill the fleas on your dog within 24 hours, and then for the month long protection bit they are meant to kill the fleas within 2 hours. So just because you've found subsequent fleas doesn't automatically mean it wasn't working.

But with the bathing you've done, you may have weakened the treatment.

You only need 1 flea to have laid eggs in your house for you to have a problem. Which is why I advised a precautionary treatment of your other dogs. And to treat your house also.

Nobody can answer your bathing question except the company that has made the shampoo. So I was just trying to point out that IF you're going to continue using spot ons, then bathing can affect their success unless you use soap-free shampoo.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I did read and understand your original post.

As I've said - as far as I'm aware - spot ons provide protection for one month. They kill the fleas on your dog within 24 hours, and then for the month long protection bit they are meant to kill the fleas within 2 hours. So just because you've found subsequent fleas doesn't automatically mean it wasn't working.

But with the bathing you've done, you may have weakened the treatment.

You only need 1 flea to have laid eggs in your house for you to have a problem. Which is why I advised a precautionary treatment of your other dogs. And to treat your house also.

As for frontline working within a few hours Teddy has fleas a week later and I know that hios rescuer did the same as me he went straight to the bath as soon as he entered the house and all her other dogs were also treated.

Nobody can answer your bathing question except the company that has made the shampoo. So I was just trying to point out that IF you're going to continue using spot ons, then bathing can affect their success unless you use soap-free shampoo.
I ddon't use spot ons I have never had fleas on my dogs and wont put un needed chemicals on them I have some spot ons as when we visit another friends house I alwasy treat any dogs we take with us as were we walk the dogs when there there are a lot of deer and a lot of ticks.

As for frontline working within a few hours and killing any subsuquent fleas for a month he had quite a few fleas when he arrived and I know his rescuer took him straight for a bath without him as much as touching the floor and also treated her own dogs too.
I also only have flea shampoo because I bought it when we first had Sally 3 months ago. I'm not stupid I know my other dogs will need treating but that wasn't my question was it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You can bath him but...I'm guessing the shampoo is only a repellent and not going to kill the fleas.

In my most recent spot on ( twas not frontline) in the small print it said if you dog in in contact with water for more than 2 mins a week the effectiveness of the product is reduced severly. ( 3 weeks if they are only swimming for a couple of mins a week) so bathing might actually reduce the effectiveness of the Frontline spot on.

If it were me, I would be at the vets asking for the spray ( trigger bottle) you can buy that can be used directly onto the fur. Its very effective, kills on contact but gentleish because it can be used on young pups and kittens. It wont build up in his blood stream like the spot on, so might be just the ticket, I think its branded frontline spray. Don't go for anything over the counter though.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I ddon't use spot ons I have never had fleas on my dogs and wont put un needed chemicals on them I have some spot ons as when we visit another friends house I alwasy treat any dogs we take with us as were we walk the dogs when there there are a lot of deer and a lot of ticks.

As for frontline working within a few hours and killing any subsuquent fleas for a month he had quite a few fleas when he arrived and I know his rescuer took him straight for a bath without him as much as touching the floor and also treated her own dogs too.
I also only have flea shampoo because I bought it when we first had Sally 3 months ago. I'm not stupid I know my other dogs will need treating but that wasn't my question was it.
I don't understand why you've been getting so stroppy with me Freyja.

I added a comment about how some shampoo can make the spot on less effective, and I've had backlash after trying to explain why I added that comment. Other people have added comments and advice without answering your bathing question and without you picking at them.

Also, you never mentioned the dog had been bathed before getting to you - all you said was that the Frontline hadn't worked. It's not my fault I've responded based on the information you have put.

And if you're not stupid - then you should know to be contacting the company who has made the shampoo regarding how frequent it can be used (if it's not written on the bottle). We can't see the bottle, you haven't mentioned a brand name, so I really don't know what you expect us to say about a chemical shampoo we know nothing about.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Teddy arrived yesterday along with several little friends. He had a bath as soon as I found them and I made sure he was completely soaked and the flea shampoo went eveywere including doing his face.

I was told he had had a flea bath the day he was rescues last sunday, and was done with frontline. As I said I bathed him again yesterday this morning while he has been sat on my knee I have seen another flea obviously eggs have hatched.

I have been combing him with a flea comb but only have a plastic one that is struggling to get it through his long thick coat.

Can I bath him again today?

I have flea drops but with him being done with frontline last week I don't want to over do it. I am going to have to go to [email protected] and see if I can get a metal comb. I don't eant all of my lot to get fleas as I'll never get rid of them.
It actualy said in my first post that he had had a flea bath and was frontlined last sunday when he was first rescued.

I have been to [email protected] and they have advised not to bath him or treat him in any way again just to use a flea comb on him to make sure he is clear

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
For every flea you see on the dog, there are hundreds in the house - if you are seeing live fleas on the dog, you have eggs in the house, and need to treat the house, and all your dogs, or you won't get rid of them - no matter how much you Frontline the original offender.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For every flea you see on the dog, there are hundreds in the house - if you are seeing live fleas on the dog, you have eggs in the house, and need to treat the house, and all your dogs, or you won't get rid of them - no matter how much you Frontline the original offender.
The dog with fleas is a rescue he only arrived yesterday and the fleas were seen before he set foot in the house. None of my dogs have fleas I have already checked I have never had a dog that has got fleas they are all checked regulary. The dog came through the front door up stairs and straught in the bath his feet never touched the floor he was carried.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The dog with fleas is a rescue he only arrived yesterday and the fleas were seen before he set foot in the house. None of my dogs have fleas I have already checked I have never had a dog that has got fleas they are all checked regulary. The dog came through the front door up stairs and straught in the bath his feet never touched the floor he was carried.
Fleas could still have jumped off and if you've seen any today they are defo in your house-

It's not the ned of the world- treat your house, treat your dogs and don't listen to [email protected] speak to a vet.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Also my vet friends have told me there are resistant strains to frontline- your local vet will know if your area is affected and the best treatment to use in that case

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.