Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vicki.burns, Apr 28, 2011.

1. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

Couple of questions...

Can you see them?

How often can you use the spot-on?

Lincoln was scratching quite a bit and me and my partner were getting bitten. We thought our bites were from being out in the garden as our back garden is a state at the moment as there was a huge stagnent smelly concrete pond which we have now got rid of but there were lots of flies and bugs around it so we thought our bites were from that.

Because of Lincolns itchy-ness we got some spot-on and he stopped scratching and our bites went away.

This was only two weeks ago, and the stuff says for coverage of 4 weeks. He has already started scratching again and Simon has started to be bitten again.

Can I use more spot-on now, or is it too soon?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I wouldn't use more spot on yet. What brand did you use? SOme are better than others.

When you're treating for fleas you also need to make sure there are none living in the environment like his bed, carpets etc. I think you can get 'flea bombs' to make sure you kill them in the house at the same time you treat the dog.

I've just started using 'Billy No Mates' with Kenzie which is a natural flea and tick preventative - you add a few drops to their food. I use it along with the spot on.

3. vicki.burns

I used the Bob Martin one,

What would be the best way to get rid of them from his bed? Will washing it do the trick or will I just end up with really clean fleas?!!

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Bob Martin and all the pet shop ones (except frontline from PAH) are pants to be honest, they do next to nothing to the fleas and can actually make the dog very ill - google Bob Martin flea drops and you'll find plenty of horror stories.

Get yourself a good spot on from the vets, something like frontline - this should provide protection for 8 weeks, and get a decent household flea spray like RIP fleas and spray all soft furnishings - curtains, sofas, carpets (especially in corners of rooms and stairs) and wash your dogs bedding on a hot wash.

I don't use chemical flea preps myself - my dogs have fresh garlic as flea and tick prevention and they've never had fleas.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

What SixStar said, but this made me laugh :D

6. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

I have to use Frontline spray as one of mine has a severe allergy to flea saliva so I would recommend this as she is fine now and was bad before

7. vicki.burns

Better get the washing machine on then lol

8. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

my advice if you already have a fea infestation is to use a spot on such as frontline, advantage or stronghold. Also vaccume more often, and use a household flea spray on all carpets and soft furnishings, wash all bedding on a really hot wash to kill fleas and their larve. If you have any other animals then you will need to treat them all at the same time. You could also buy a flea come or nit come and go through his fur every flea of him is a step futher. Hope this helps :)

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You would need to check the frequency advised by the manufacturers on the specific one you had. Also if you are thinking of changing to a different one they you will also have to check thoroughly they are compatible and/or the
    lapse in time using another. Some chemicals and medications must not be mixed.

Usually the fleas only get on the animal to feed mosty, the rest of the time they are in the environment which is where the eggs are laid.
    You can sometimes see the flea dirts on the animal, stand him on a white sheet and brush him, if you see any black/brownish specks, transfer to white kitchen paper and drip a few drops of water on them. If they tush reddish
    then that is flea dirt its dried blood basically.

You could well have them in the environment, which is why your pet and you could well be getting bitten and re-infected so soon. You can get enviromental sprays, acclaim 2000 is good, there are also others Indorex,RIP flea spray.

10. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Right, get off bob martin, wash everything, flea bomb what yo can, vacuum the house like a crazy person and bath in flea shampoo.

Last year I could see them on my bedroom floor! I had to sleep downstairs despite bombing my room 4 times.

I found the problem is front line was not working nor did I realize my cat was allergic. Maya is on practic and Spike is on Advantage, we vacuum daily top to bottom and this the only way we can maintain flea problems. I also bath and apply monthly.

They are very tiny black things and move super fast :glare:

11. vicki.burns

I am right though!! There is some sort of bed bug thing that you can wash and wash and wash stuff but they don't go away they just end up being really clean bed bugs!!! I heard that somewhere, I think it's true!!

12. vicki.burns

Thank you,

His bedding and all toys are now in the washing machine on a 90 deg wash. Next up is my bedding just incase, meanwhile I will hoover EVERYWHERE and a trip to PAH for spray and shampoo etc.

As I'm writing this he is standing in the window (very low window sills) looking out the front garden and seen a wood pidgeon and started to shake with excitement lol! Muppet

13. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

You really will need to do everywhere I think. We've had thema couple of times. I've always bathed the dogs in a shampoo for fleas and put them outside whilst I vacuum the whole house, wash all bedding and mop. If you are being bitten then I'd say you've got a few there.
    Avet once told me that for every one on the dog there are so many hundred[I forget how many] in the rest of the house. Use a good spot on treatment as well. As long as I've been very thorough Its done the job first time. Good luck:)

14. vicki.burns

Upstairs other than my bedding is sorted hoover wise, just stairs and downstairs to go, I pressume I can get the spray for carpets etc at Pets At Home?

15. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Sorry Vicki I dont know- I haven't got any P@ H. From what I read I'd say they'd have something decent.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice