Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lenilou, May 6, 2010.

1. lenilou

lenilou PetForums Newbie

Hi !
    Recently I ve started to get bitten by what I suspect are fleas...I would like to find an alternative to the anti-flea treatment I ve been using on my cat because it is one you drop on the back of her neck, and she hates it. Last time she managed to lick it, lots of hair came off her coat and she stopped eating. We took her to the vet who noticed she had a lump in her throat. Well I am not entirely sure the lump is due to the drops but it is stranged it happened all at once...
    All that to ask : I have heard you can obtain anti-flea products that you can drop in the catfood which seems much easier...Has anyone here been using one? Could you advise me a brand that works and that I can get in a pet shop rather than at the vet's?
    Thank you :)

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

program is a flea treatment which can be added to food, I used it for the very timid feral i fed.

Most oral flea treatments (like program) will not work on any adult fleas, what they will do is stop them breeding. Its like the pill for fleas ;)

Capstar is the only oral treatment which will deal with the adult fleas (i think), but it doesnt deal with the eggs etc

to treat the whole cat immediatly and orally for fleas you would need to use a combination of the two.

4. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

Which spot on the back of the neck did you use? Also wouldn't bother with the ones you buy in the pet shop - none actually kill fleas - they repel them only - if you read the packaging none of them actually say this product kills fleas.
    If you are noticing fleas biting you then you probably have quite a big population of them. I would use a spray that you use for the house on all your carpets etc, called Acclaim, you can buy it at your vets and it works very well. If you have a dog or any other cats then they all need to be treated at the same time. Most cats hate the spot on stuff and will lick it and it does make them drool a lot - so make sure you get it at the back of the head at the top of the neck where they can't reach. The frontline stuff is very safe and adverse reactions are rare, the profender stuff tends to get more reactions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice