Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas - what to do?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by happybonzo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. happybonzo

happybonzo PetForums Junior

My dog has fleas! This despite being Frontline'd every month.
    I cannot use Advantix (spelling?) because I have a cat and that stuff is poisonous to them

The Vet put him on a course of antibiotics first to clear up any infection that he may have had on his rear hind quarters.
    I have been given a shampoo by our Vet called Malaseb; it is an antibacterial and anti fungal shampoo: Quite frankly, it doesn't seem to be making the blindest bit of difference.
    The poor dog is still going for the area on his back above his hind quarters. He also seems to be paying more grooming attention to the area around his "bits"

So any help or suggestions would be welcome

2. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Have you done the house / carpets as well as the dog?

3. LeeM018

LeeM018 PetForums Member

We had an infestation a few years ago from the cat. I went through so much money on flea sprays and treatments for the cat and house. The problem wasn't resolving itself, so in the end i got the pest control company who is contracted by the local council to come and do my house from top to bottom. Cost close to £100, but by that point I was willing to pay anything to sort it. This, combined with standard vet issued flea drops for the cat, sorted the problem. I'm a firm believer that you need to smash both at the same time - house and pet - to really get a grip on it.

4. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

funn i justed mentioned the same thing

I dont do fleas but candy has picked them up and she was frontlined 3 weeks ago!!! been told to try
    advantage so thats what the plan is and the house is about ot get debugged!!

Saying all that I couldn't sleep last night becasu emy little toe was hurting on inspection this morning and after my discovery this morning i think its a flea bite i even googled for pictures.

Damn things horrible Oh well at least i know what today is!

Good luck x

5. happybonzo

happybonzo PetForums Junior

Many thanks everyone - I thought that the "house" suggestion might come up. It sounds very probable so a call to the council on Monday - that's if they've got any employees left :(

#5 happybonzo, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice