Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas that just wont die.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Flavershams, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Flavershams

Flavershams PetForums Newbie

Hi all.
    I have 3 cats, 1 that doesnt go out and 2 that do.
    For the past 2-3months ive been dealing with a flea issue and its mind boggling.

They have been treated with advantage, and are treated monthly with it. The house is normally sprayed with johnsons 4 fleas house spray with igr which has worked very well in the past. It has now also been sprayed with indorex and also a new to me spray called zero in ultra power. The house is vacuumed probably twice a week, its all i can manage with mobilitt issues.
    Not only am i still finding fleas on the cats, they seem to still be very bitey and the cat that doesnt go out is covered in flea dirt again within days but which is awful within 2 weeks.
    Ive been dosing them twice a month for that reason and am still pulling fleas off. This past month i also dosed them with frontline.
    Always applied the same, back of the head/neck by parting the fur and dropping onti the skin.

Heres the thing.
    I have collected fleas off of the indoor cat and put them in a glass. 13 of them. Now they have lain eggs, and a clouple have hatched into larvae. They have all been alive in the glass for 7days so far.... this is off of a cat treated with both advantage and frontline, a cat that doesnt go out so the fleas must have come from the sprayed environment and must have been on her for some time if they have fed and been able to lay eggs.

The meds were bought from petdrugs online and not through a source that id consider "dubious".

Ive never seen anything like it. Are the fleas immune to imidacloprid, fipronil, and also permithrin or am i doing something seriously wrong?
    My next step was to spray the flea spray in the glass and see if a concentrated dose will kill them off... it did.

Given advantage and frontline claim to kill fleas within 1- 24hrs, i thought id do this experiment to find out why the little one still seems to be being eaten alive . It seems the fleas in the environment that are jumping back on the cat are not being killed fast enough. If they are also able to lay viable eggs its going to be very hars to combat this.

The funny thing is, 1 of the cats, the white one, dosed in the same way on the same days and i can never find flea dirt or fleas on her. The other darker coloured cats i can ‍o_O

Please help. Is expensive prescription stuff my only choice? And how long do i have to wait after having advantaged and frontlined them in the past month (which i realise is pushing it)

#1 Flavershams, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Flavershams and welcome :)

I wouldn't use Frontline because it contains fipronil which is no longer effective in all parts of the UK at killing fleas.

Advantage should still be effective if given every month but as you are finding it is not effective lately i would switch to another make that contains a different insecticide e.g. Stronghold, Bravecto or Credelio (the latter is a tablet).

I wouldn't give Advantage twice a month, that is too often and could cause harmful side effects to the cats. If you want to treat them more frequently than once a month switch to Capstar which can be given whenever you see fleas on the cats. But do not use Capstar in addition to another insecticide on them.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/capstar-11mg-small-dog-cat-flea-treatment-6-tablets-(online-only)

Indorex, RIP Fleas or Acclaim are all good makes of household insecticide. They kill adult fleas and eggs but do not kill flea pupae. No product on the market kills the flea pupae. They can lie dormant in carpet, skirting board etc for months and then hatch out into adult fleas. Once they bite the insecticide treated cat they should die.

Vacuuming every day encourages the pupae to hatch out, and jump on the cat which is what you want.

Always empty the vacuum bag every time you vacuum and only empty it into an outside bin. You could cut a flea collar into pieces and put it in the vaccuum bag to kill fleas you vacuum up.

Useful tips:

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/pupal-window/

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/flea-life-cycle/

#2 chillminx, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    TriTri likes this.
  3. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Oh no @Flavershams!
    I’d also recommend you taking a good look at all soft furnishings, blankets, cat beds etc and wash everything on as high a temperature wash as possible, or better still with cat bedding, consider throwing them out if they are old or worn or you find flea dirt on them, with particular attention to where your indoor cat is laying mostly. Hoover sofas, lifting up all cushions to hoover “inside” sofas, and hoover daily until they are gone, (more effort now means much less later, but still at least twice weekly once they have gone). Hoover behind furniture & underneath too. Maybe someone could help you, especially with moving furniture?
    Are there any wild animals that lay in the garden, where your outdoor cats lie? If so, it might worth kindly discouraging them from spending time in your garden.

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice