Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas, still scratching!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jjmc, Apr 3, 2011.

1. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

Hi Folks,

Me again!

Little Ted the Westie received second inoculation on Wed along with a dose of Advocate. I also treated the house with Indorex, twice as it happens for the first time I ran out and the person at the vet said best to do it again, this time with two canisters to ensure I cover the entire house. Have hoovered and hoovered the entire house, yet yesterday afternoon a flea fell off his little tail and on to the floor. Also he's still scratching, running around like he's chasing his tail, and nipping/licking is front paws.

I really feel for the little fella, for when in the middle of playing session he suddenly stops, has a good scratch, and then cannot recall what we were up to.

BTW I've also washed all his bedding and have Indorexed them, have also fumigated all his toys with the Indorex as well.

Feel like scratching myself after writing this:)

Thanks

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

It sounds as though he may be sensitive to flea bites (saliva) and although you may have eradicated the fleas, his body is still reacting to previous bites.

This should settle, or take him to vet and they should be able to give him something to ease his discomfort. If this is indeed problem, I'm no vet, so just my thoughts!

3. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

He could also be allergic to the Indorex spray. It's very potent and I only ever use it sparingly, with windows open and well ventilated before I let the dogs back in. It shouldn't be ingested so spraying toys is a no no with me - i just pop them all in the washing machine every so often and hang them on the line - rubber ones too.

Fleas will still be around if you've had an infestation but they will be dying and eggs won't hatch. It could be that they have become desensitised to Indorex and you may need a different spray but be very careful as you don't want to poison the dog and I thought sprays were not meant to be used at the same time as a flea treatment, not until a few days have elapsed anyway. Try adding a small piece of garlic clove to his meals a few times a week, just about a quarter of a single clove not a quarter of the whole bulb.

#3 Malmum, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

The flea sprays can take 3-4 days to take full effect in the house. Maybe change his walks slightly as he is obviously picking up more.
    In this area people don't seem to bother de-fleaing their dogs and cats and along with the fox population fleas can be a real hassle. I always start early in the season before the little blighters start biting. It takes a while but you will get rid of them.

5. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

I'll try this, many thanks

6. Will@GowerVets

Will@GowerVets PetForums Newbie

Did you spray the car? It's often missed!
    It's very hard to completely remove a flea problem in such a short time, if you've missed somewhere with the spray those eggs can last 6 months and hatch anytime within those 6 months, stay on top of the advocate so any that do hatch die before breeding again, it could take months to get on top of it properly.
    Best of luck.
    Don't go to heavy on the Garlic, like onions all aliums can be toxic to dogs in sufficient quantity.
    Will

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Yup, they oxidise the red blood cells.

I read a very interesting article on the disadvantages of garlic and its skin thinning properties. I stopped it with the horse as he has a skin condition called mudfever where broken skin is infected by enzymes in the mud. It's a real sod to get rid of.

8. kate11

kate11 PetForums Junior

i give ruby garlic to, as fleas dont like garlic. gives a nice shiny coat too. you can also get the tablet form of garlic to.

have you tried giving a flea bath with flea shampoo, also if your pooch is allowed everywhere in the house, try keeping it to one room. so that you get the infestation under control :)

kate and ruby

9. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

Many thanks for all the advise, much appreciated.

I've tried to keep him from most of the house and at the moment he's only allowed in the kitchen/breakfast-room and living room. Mind you I have to let him upstairs in the morning as he loves to wake the OH off when I bring her a cup of tea in bed.

Unfortunately he's wandered around the the whole house, we have 5 bedrooms which means the hoovering is a right pain, and hence the two cans of Indorex.

He was pretty laid back this morning and while giving him a good back rub I started with the Kong grooming thingy, which he absolutely loved, he looked like someone getting a massage :D As he lay there in bliss I started with the nit comb and gave him a good going over, again he was in bliss, and importantly not a sign of a flea.

Shall keep you updated, and will post a picture when I figure out how to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice