Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas! (please)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kdh, Sep 17, 2009.

1. kdh

kdh PetForums Newbie

our dog has fleas :eek:hmy: and we'd love to know if anyone has some good natural remedies and ways to get rid of them without using chemical sprays and flame throwers. She had frontline 3 weeks ago but there are a few on her despite this. Vet says this is because they are probably in the carpet and bedding etc. I will redo frontline next tuesday but am reluctant to use the heavy duty stuff around the house unless no alternative. Also do dog fleas bite people? Many thanks! :)

2. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

Vacuuming and mopping, then more vacuuming and mopping. This works, but you need loads of energy.

3. hollie.hocks

hollie.hocks PetForums Member

I don't know where I heard this, but I think feeding a dog garlic can help to get rid of fleas, I'd google that first though before you test it out!

H x

4. rona

rona Guest

Yep Garlic keeps the fleas away, but it must be given carefully as garlic can have adverse effects on dogs.
    Best to buy preparations specifically for dogs

5. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Just throw one of those giant smoking stink bombs in the house and go out for a few hours!! Saves a load of hassle! I do love natural remedies - however there is often no substitute!

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Most fleas will have a nibble to see if you're suitable, but as dogs frequently carry cat fleas, that will be your answer.

A compromise might be to nuke the house with Indorex or Acclaim, then you will only have to control the fleas on the animals themselves, which can be done with natural products.

7. Sylvestris Kennels

Sylvestris Kennels PetForums Senior

We use acclaim - it really works and lasts for 12 months - fleas are nasty so use the chemicals on the carpet asap - yes they will bite - although in low numbers it will be infrequent. BTW if you make the dogs unattractive to the fleas you will get more bites if you don't kill the source in the carpet.

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I really should have shares in Acclaim... lol
    But if you do use it, there's no need for bombing the house or getting the council in, probably involving much nastier chemicals.

It also keeps spiders away! (Now that could almost be a selling point on that alone, among arachnophobics).

9. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Just to add to this... I got fleas when i was younger :eek: my Hungarian Puli picked them up and shared them around.

We counted 50 bites alone on one of my little legs from ankle to knee. Needless to say i was subject to ritual laughter and teasing for some time after that!! This was about 20 years ago now and i'm still pissed at the dog :cursing:

So yes the little buggers bite, and bite!! Just forgoe natural remedies and smoke the place out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice