Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas....please help!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lynndeacon, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Lynndeacon

Lynndeacon PetForums Newbie

Absolutely at the end of my tether, tried various types of flea treatment, have a monthly subscription for spot on treatment that does not work, just used as advantix II and hoovered entire house so thoroughly, used powder and spray and flea bombs, washed every soft furnishing in the entire house, all bedding etc, the advantix is supposed to kill them in 12 hours, can still pick them off the dogs tonight, it’s been 24 hours at least since applying it,
    I’m really at my wits end now, costing me a fortune and spent hours and hours doing the house, just don’t know what to do and my poor dogs are scratching themselves raw
    Any advice much appreciated x

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Are you UK based? Flea bombs arent so often recommended in the UK as they are pretty useless.

If you are uk based, go along to your vet and get one of the new generation flea treatments. Bravecto, simparica. Your vet will advise. In fact if you simply call the vet reception, you will likely find that they can get a prescription to your dog without you needing a consult. Call the practice where your dog is registered of course!

Spot on treatments have largely been replaced by these newer tablet ones (which again causes me to think you are not uk based)

Though if your dogs have scratched themselves raw as you say, i think your vet will need to see them as they might need extra treatments as well as an effective flea treatment (for broken skin and potential infection)

Once you have an effective treatment, im afraid you are going to see fleas in your house for a while yet. You have a massive infestation im afraid and they will be hatching out every hour.

Indorex is a very good spray. Forget powders. Get indorex spray.

I think what has happened here is

1) you have a heavy infestation

2) you have used a combination of ineffective treatments.

If you are uk i would

1) get your dogs to the vets to get skin checked and get a new generation effective flea treatment

2) get indorex spray

3) follow instruction on spray can and set about on thorough vacuuming regime.

4) expect a full 9 months before you are flea free (though they will massively diminish after a few weeks.

If you are not uk, you will need to find out if there are any of the better and more effective products in your region. Indorex is available online but bravecto and simparica, nexguard are all prescription only.

Good luck!

3. Lynndeacon

Lynndeacon PetForums Newbie

Thank you, yes I’m ul.
    I’ll call the vet today.
    I researched what flea treatment works and ‘Advantix II came up as really effective so I thought that, alongside extreme vacuuming, spray and powder, flea bombs, washing everything in sight along with deep cleaning all the books and crannies down the sides of the sofa etc, might have worked!!
    It’s a nightmare!

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I think once you have some effective treatments you will make progress.

Acclaim and indorex are 2 good sprays. Though, tbh, they might not be as good as they used to be. They were really very effective until EU regulation got them taken off the market back in 2017 i think it was.

They then got re formulated in order to comply with the regs and are no doubt now kinder to the environment but hopefully not the fleas!

I didnt think flea bombs were widely used in the UK but i know they are popular in some parts of the world.

I think you will see a difference with the right treatments though:)

5. El Cid

El Cid PetForums Senior

I have been to the vets with my dog. She treated her, but kept it to herself what brand the treatment was.
    My last treatment, perhaps did not work, it has been ongoing for a few months, with it just getting worse recently.
    She does seem better, I am vaccuming more. I have a treatment(Beaphar) that contains 'Fipronil' hope that works next time.
    If all else fails, I find giving the dog a shampoo will help, as the degreaser in the shampoo will kill any fleas, but not the eggs.

What ingredient in the flea treatment should we be looking for, what works for your dog?

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

That's unusual @El Cid . Often the vet will just issue the prescription for home dosing.

You can read about the newer treatments here:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bravecto-nexgard-simparica-oral-flea-tick-preventives-safe/

Though this article is not promoting them, far from it.

Certainly if you havent got a heavy infestation you might well want to go the more natural and gentler route.

Both my dogs are on simparica which is a monthly palatable tablet. No problems in either of my two and they have been on it years now.

The ingredients in each treatment are listed in the linked article

7. El Cid

El Cid PetForums Senior

We tried Bravecto before, she wouldnt eat it, she did when I tried after a few months.

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Mine will eat anything wrapped up in a bit of something tasty but the simparica they love. Milbemax i pop into a bit of cheese or meat though.

I was wary of trying mine on bravecto due to it lasting 3 months - i just thought that is a heck of a time for something to be in the system if it doesnt suit.

That linked article is a bit scary actually!!

Im sure your vet will tell you what was used on your dog if you ask.

The practice i use moved away from spot ons quite a while ago now and just offers bravecto or simparica which are both tablets

9. El Cid

El Cid PetForums Senior

Just looked online for Bravecto, why do they require a prescription?
    Seems like they will get fewer customers that way. Is it a 'dangerous' product, I hope not, what can go wrong?

10. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Just to add, have you double-checked that there’s nothing in the environment that’s helping the flea cycle?

I had a huge infestation once, which I couldn’t get rid of, until I found the dead rabbit stashed under a bush in the garden, and it was absolutely crawling with fleas, so my dogs were just bringing in fresh ones every day!

tabelmabel likes this.
  11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

We should have a "not like” or "yeuch” option.

Linda Weasel and tabelmabel like this.
  12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Have you looked at the article i linked? It explains there what can go wrong i thought?

The most effective flea remedies are prescription only. Over the counter ones are not as effective.

Im not entirely sure why this is but i expect it will be down the the research and drug trials, licensing issues and controlled drugs used within the products.

How did you get hold of it last time it was prescribed for your dog? Bravecto is a huge sized pill from what i recall. Simparica is just a small beef flavoured one (at least it smells beefy!)

Maybe your vet could prescribe that if your dog wont take bravecto.

If you are wanting it cheaper, you can buy a prescription from your vet and then use it to buy online.

13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Im just going ahead and liking linda's post as she makes a good point there but i agree that an 'agree' icon would be good so you can agree but not necessarily like.

We do have this handy emoji:Hungover for dead rabbits and such like:D

LittleMow, Linda Weasel and JoanneF like this.
  14. El Cid

El Cid PetForums Senior

Yes I looked at the article. I am looking to see what I do when this 4 weeks is over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice