Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas - please help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cazzy87, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

Ok so Joey has Fleas :( ive just noticed them about 5 minutes ago (already treated him the day i got him too :(

what is the best stuff to buy?

2. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

Advocate is the best which you can only get from the vets. It also doubles as a wormer. Although it doesnt treat tapeworm for which you will need Droncit Spot On which you can get from PetsatHome. I presume he is not a kitten?

3. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

yes he is a kitten hes about 11 weeks old now

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Most "over the counter" treatments dont work very wellsome can be harmful Bob Martins being one of the worst.
    Frontline seems to have stopped being effective so not great,Advantage I think is the best non prescription treatment available.
    Personally I would pay the extra and get Advocate / Stronghold or similar from your vet,and dont forget to get a house spray as well.
    When did you treat him last,you need to leave a few weeks between tretments.Not sure how quickly you can treat after the previous treatment so maybe best to vet get advice on that.

5. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

i did it on the 29th thats when i got Joey .. they are still running around on him its kinda grossing me out :|

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

What did you treat him with ?
    I would ring your vet and ask advice as he will need to get rid of these quickly,fleas can make kittens quite ill esp if he was been getting bitten for weeks before you got him,which sounds likely.

7. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

I feel your pain! Years ago I had to store my furniture temporarily in someone's spare room where she also let her cat have kittens:( when I got my furniture back it was riddled with fleas! I bought Alsorts of over the counter stuff - non of it worked! Eventually I actually had to have my house fumigated :eek: I didn't have any pets at the time as I wasn't allowed them in there as it was rented! I'd deffo go for the advocate and spray from the vets... Don't even waste your money on over the counter stuff! Good luck

8. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

it was the spot on stuff i used

9. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

i called the vets and they said they have the stuff for £8 and it will work but the cheaper ones wont get rid of them and i need to treat both my kittens incase and i can call in whenever so im gonna go down today and get some thanks for your help guys :)

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

What brand?

11. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

it was spot on for fleas/ticks a liquid you put on the neck

12. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

that sounds like frontline spot on this doesnt work very well.
    from the vet you need advocate.:)

13. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

ooo might have been frontline ive thrown the packaging away now

the vet told me the name of the stuff they do she didnt say advocate though not sure what she said it was called i was just like yeah when can i come and get it i need rid of them :( my poor boy .... i just call in whenever ....

ive pordered some floor spray to kill fleas do these generally work ???

14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You should be able to get the household flea spray from your vet too,you really need to be treating both kitten and the house at the same time.Good luck it may take you a few weeks to clear this up.

15. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

yes i am treating both kittens ive just checked tinker over and she now has them too :( it has to have come from Joey as tinker was clear before all this :( ill try get the house spray too.

16. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Oh tell me about it, I'm having my own flea infestation at the moment. Trying frontline spot on for now but I'm going to have to spray the house and wash everything that can be washed. Might have to try advocate or advantage if frontline doesn't get rid.

17. Kah

Kah PetForums Senior

I was new to cat ownership when Gatsby had fleas earlier this year. I used frontline and then sprayed the whole house with RIP fleas which I got from the vet. Vacuumed everyday for a week, got a flea comb for Gatsby and then it was all over! Hope you have equal success quickly!

18. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

If you use a hoover, remember to pop stuff in there as it can be a breeding ground for fleas

Some peeps may also cut up a flea collar and pop that in the cylinder (omitting the securing parts of course)

19. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

i used that spot on and it didnt work the vet told me it isnt strong enough to rid the fleas once they have them you need a stronger solution

20. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

i would have never have thought about that i shall deffinately do it as well as soon as i get the stuff thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice