Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas on other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kakite, Sep 15, 2020 at 12:41 AM.

1. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Hey everyone

so I have a friend that lives on a farm and despite her treating her dogs for fleas, they still seem to get them. Since I’ve noticed that, I have stopped taking nova when I visit. She does get treated monthly but I just don’t want her to get fleas. When our cat was a kitten and we rescued her she was riddled with fleas and to get rid of them on her and the house and basically ourselves (poor husband was covered in bites), was a real nightmare.

Would nova be able to get fleas even though she is treated herself? She is on nexgard spectra monthly tablets.

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I hate fleas to be honest I wouldn’t risk it once they are in they are in your house they are in.

Kakite and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

yeah I think I won’t risk it.

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I think the way most monthly treatments work is that it kills the fleas when they bite your dog... so don’t actually repel them just kills them before they can become a problem. So I guess she could still get fleas on her! But you probably wouldn’t see many if any if they die straight away!

Kakite likes this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

You can get natural bug repellent stuff to spray on her before you go out, but if they have always got fleas I'd probably not risk it.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I agree with the others. Would not knowingly expose any pet, treated or not, to another animal or place known to harbor fleas.

Kakite likes this.
  7. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

but don’t dogs pick fleas up from long grass, fields etc??

I’d probably take mine over because she’s treated and check her when we leave. If she got the fleas then, bath, comb etc and don’t take her over there again.

is this a close friend that you can be straight with? If it’s stopping you from taking your dog over just tell them the truth, something needs to be done about the flea problem so our dogs can play.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Sure but a healthy animal can fight off a flea or two picked up in the grass.

Taking your dog to a place known to be infested with fleas is another story.

Jason25 likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe it’s worth asking what flea treatment your friend uses - some just don’t work.

Also mention the sprays that can be used on the house, dog beds, etc. as well as constant vacuuming to break the breeding cycle - diplomatically, of course ;)

Torin. likes this.
  10. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

She’s a close friend and she knows why I’m not taking Nova. I have asked her and she uses flea baths (can’t remember the brand now) and spot on treatments. She just thinks it’s normal for dogs on a farm to always have a few fleas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice