Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas on 5 day old kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Gratch, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Somehow my 5 day old kittens have fleas! Both parents are indoor cats, always have been, and showed no sign of anything until the day Kerry got neutered. They started scratching a bit on that evening and I assumed it was to do with their moulting until I picked up the ginger kitten today to weigh him and saw a massive bloody flea on his tummy! I can't believe it though. There's no reason they should have fleas! There was a dog caged below him when we picked him up but still, you don't expect to go to the vets and come away with fleas. Going to tweeze any I find off the kittens but is it safe to give Gratch a flea bath? They're confined to the bedroom/computer room/hall since Gratch has started to move the kittens around. Definitely not a problem I expected to have to deal with ever. :mad2:

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Sounds as if someone picked them up at the vets!

I'm sure I don't have to warn you but just in case, fleas on young kittens are potentially very dangerous-even much older kittens are at serious risk. They can develop flea anaemia which can literally kill them. It's all to do with their small blood allocation compared to that of a larger animal.

I would use a flea comb to remove as many as possible and call the vets to enquire about a flea product suitable for nursing queens.

Good luck with it all

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sorry cant help.Please dont use any kind of flea treatment until you have spoken to either someone with first hand knowledge on here or your vet.It can be dangerous for the kittens if you use the wrong treatment.I definitely would not recommend a bath at all and both mum and kittens will need deflead in some way.Fleas if they get a hold can be bad news for tiny kittens.

4. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Ta, my mom's coming round with a flea shampoo to use on our two adult cats, hopefully it'll say if it's safe for nursing queens. Going to pick the fleas off the kittens with tweezers when they're done feeding. Thanks for advice, will call vet in the morning and then see if someone can drive me out *groan*

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I can't imagine flea shampoo being safe for the kittens. Think about it, she will have it on her skin & nipples ... But I could be wrong. Your best bet is to search out some of Tje's posts on fleas in new born kittens. She gave fantastic advise several times having dealt with this problem countless times with the rescue kittens she fostered.

Also cats generally move their kittens around if they don't feel safe, please try and keep Gratch shut in one room with the kittens to try and lessen this. You mentioned on your other thread that that is the room with the only heating on too ... you don't want the kittens to chill.

Is Kerry still calling for Gratch?

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am sure the vet can recommend a safe product for the cats....I would be very cautious about even shampooing the mum as the chemicals may not be safe for kittens. You can buy a product called Skoosh to use around the kitten room to stop eggs being laid etc, it is insecticide free, but again do check with vet or manufacturer.

7. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Aye there wasn't any info on the bottle about nursing queens so decided against it. Also the kittens are too wriggly just now for the tweezers to work so out to the pet shop first thing for a comb. Got a large can of Staykill aswell so going to go treat the living room/kitchen/bathroom tonight and keep them out until they're treated aswell. Then I just have to get the bedroom/computer room/hall which'll be a bit harder seen as the kittens are in the bedroom and Kerry is in the computer room.

And no, Kerry hasn't been calling, just lying down at my feet quietly since the kittens arrived like a good boy.

8. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Animed - Dogs - Flea & Tick - Skoosh Flea Spray 400ml
    Do consider this product, I am pretty sure it is safe to use in the kitten room without any risk of toxic fumes from regular sprays. You can also get it in Pets at Home if you have a local branch. As Ianthi warns above....kittens of this age can very quickly become overwhelmed by fleas with fatal results. Can you call the vet and ask their advice in the morning?

9. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

if you are that worried and cant wait for tomorrow to speak to the vet you can always call the emergency after all they are there to give advice

10. HDWells

HDWells PetForums Junior

Your kittens are to young to have treatment.
    I would recommend flea comb.

11. Leena

Leena PetForums Member

I would also think 5 days is not old enough for any chemical treatment. But I would say my mind to the vet for sure. Haven't they taken into account fleas in their patients? Not trying to stop those from spreading? Not exactly very good advertising for them if the word gets round. "Don't take your pet to that vet - it'll be infested with fleas!" Could damage their business seriously.

Leena

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

In all fairness though you don't know whether they came from the vet. They equally well could have jumped in through a window, could have been brought in by yourself or someone else etc.

13. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I was thinking the same to be honest. My friend, last year had a problem with fleas on her cat, who lives entirely indoors. Kitty had not been to vet recently so fleas must have been brought into the home :(

She does have friends with animals (including me) who visit, none of us had flea issues with our animals, or nobody owned up!

I have had many animals, my own and rescues that have been into vets, never had an issue with fleas afterwards, but I guess it might be possible?

14. Flossy11

Flossy11 PetForums Newbie

Frontline spray can be used in kittens and puppies from 2 days of age. I think you can buy it these days over the counter or internet without prescription.

#14 Flossy11, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  15. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Please be careful when stating things like this. Not all methods/products are safe for kittens or puppies from 2 days old.

Please supply additional information on which Frontline product and how to apply it safely.

When advising about products that can be bough OTC it's vital to give the full and correct advice. Otherwise it could have disastrous results :( which I'm sure you don't want.

16. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Agree completely! And I would be extremely reluctant to use any product on very young kittens like this even those that are deemed safe. I can't imagine the testing could be that extensive for one thing.

17. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Frontline spray apparently can be used on puppies and kittens from 2 days old, BUT it does require a vet prescription to obtain it, so that means only used based on a vet's advise and guidance. Don't get it from websites selling it without a vet Rx because if they are willing to sell Rx-only drugs without it, they could just as easily sell you a fake (and potentially dangerous like Bob Martin stuff) product.

18. Flossy11

Flossy11 PetForums Newbie

Yes, you are absolutely correct - my mistake. Frontline spray needs a veterinary prescription; it is Frontline spot-on which does not.

A vet/vet nurse might spray the kittens for a reasonable fee?

19. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

I Hate fleas they are my pet hate. None of my animals ever had fleas until i brought elvis home, he was the ultimate smelly cat. The first night i took him home I saw fleas on him and i went mad, i didnt have a clue what to do. It was too late to go to the vets or get to a pet shop, i couldnt sleep all night thinking of the fleas on him. Here was my plan of action
    1) The next day I started by giving him a bath, he was so stinky from the conditions he was kept in and a few fleas came off in the water.
    2) flea combed him all over, few more fleas came off
    3) used frontline spot on
    4) more flea combing
    5) treat all the house with a spray especially carpets, also vacume everyday ( i was vacuming twice a day)
    6) wash bedding on a boil wash to kill flea eggs and larvae
    6) remember to treat all animals at the same time.

In about less than a week Elvis was flea free and never had them since
    Obviously dont use the spot on as it is dangerous for kittens that young. Your best bet is to use the flea comb everyday even twice a day if you can and wash them in warm water.

20. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I know you mean well hun, but the bit I've bolded ...

Please don't wash the kittens at all. It's very dangerous with such young kittens, in fact kittens at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice