Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas & mental health

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shanejd, Jun 1, 2021.

1. shanejd

shanejd PetForums Newbie

About a month ago my 12 year old Pomeranian was put down after health complications with old age. A week or so later a flea hopped on me and kick started my anxiety. I’m absolutely petrified of fleas & ticks, so I began the arduous but necessary task of stripping bedding, 90 degree (Celsius) washing, even washing clothes that are in my chest of drawers, hoovering, spraying RIP Flea spray etc.

I only saw the one but I wanted to be SURE I caught it all ASAP.

I put down shallow bowls/plates with warm water and dish soap so I can keep an eye on the extent of how many were in my home.

I wasn’t eating or sleeping much. I’d constantly wear tracksuit bottoms, tucked into my socks and a hoodie tucked into my bottoms while I was at home. Couldn’t get under my duvet to try and sleep as I can’t bare the thought of them hopping around under my duvet with me. The paranoia and anxiety started to ease as I didn’t feel or see any.

Then, I came home from work and there was one in the soapy dishwater. I thought “maybe it’s a straggler, but either way it’s dead now”... then I felt one on my hand and it started jumping around my duvet.

I’m back to not sleeping and eating and I’m at a wits end. I’ve lost half a stone from this alone. Life hasn’t been easy for me recently and this is just the icing on the cake. My mental health is suffering, my work life is being effected and I don’t know what to do to get rid of them... ALL of them.

I used the whole can of RIP fleas on my 2 bed flat (2 separate occasions, not in one go), I hoovered almost every day after doing so to awaken the pupae and eggs. Can someone help me?

Thank you

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Idorex is supposed to be the best product to get rid of them.
    Years ago - I was living in a huge shared house that had become infested - the council came and put smoke devices in each room and it totally worked, but I don't know if those are still licensed; they were only ever used by professionals as far as I know.

3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your problems, I also had the council out years ago when I moved into a new house the previous owners had had cats. The treated the whole house (privately owned).

Did you actually buy the Indorex you were recommended on your other thread and use that?

4. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Because of the flea cycle, it might just be that you need to treat again as I think the eggs or the pupae (can't remember which) can lay dormant for quite a while and often flea treatments won't kill them.

Also make sure you strip your sofa and wash the cushion covers (if you can). You can buy the flea bombs, we used one when we had fleas alongside the sprays.

Jason25 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice