Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas, help, could I have them in my hair!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kezzy, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Hi all

Well, flead the kittens this week and to my surprise found quite a few! went to the vets last week and he checked them over and said no fleas but found alot of flea poo, gross I know! so i decided to flea them anyway.

Now my problem is since fleaing them I have had an itchy head and im worried i may have fleas in my hair. Is this possible, how can I check and how do I get rid of them.

Were currently in the process of renovating our house so we have no carpets at the moment just bare floor boards would it be possible for the fleas to live in these. I have sprayed everywhere with flea killer and have given everywhere a good hoover! gonna do a deep clean at the weekend and hoover again!

any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

2. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Not sure, however they dont live in human hair as it's not a human flea. I'm worried about that as well as my Heniu is ridden with fleas. We going to see the Vet tomorrow.

It's very important to spray everywhere and as far as I know fleas love cracks in floorboards, skirting boards, cornices etc.

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

im not sure if they can live on humans or in your hair but get someone to look through your hair. it may jst be dust or the thought of fleas making you itch.

if you do have them erm i dunno how youd treat them. dunno if you cud use human lice treatment. i suppose they are the same kinda thing. horrid blood sucking things

4. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Yeah im not sure if its just me being paranoid. I had read somewhere to leave shampoo on for 5 mins longer and after rinsing to comb through when wet and any fleas should come out so i will try this tonight. Is just making me feel dirty lol

5. tibby2000

tibby2000 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

No you should be ok as fleas do not live for long on humans but they can give you a bite that will itch for a while . Try and steam your floors once a month and use Frontline on the kittens every 3 months. You can get Frontline dropon now which is easy to use. Steaming with a steamer will get between the cracks and kill everything off .

Des

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

do the shampoo but then put loads of conditioner on dnt rinse it and comb through. its slippier so if theres anythin there it wont be able to hold on. make sure you come from the roots rite on your scalp.

ooo im all itchy now he he

7. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I am paranoid as well!! I'm all itchy at all times, however I think it's in my head :eek:ut: I also bought VAX steamcleaner to treat all the corners etc.

GOOD LUCK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice