Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas, bowl of water, dish soap, light

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Deleted member 1482176, Mar 23, 2019.

1. I found a flea as I was furminating my cat earlier. I treated her and the dog with Advantage, trapped all of their bedding in the washer ready for tomorrow morning's wash, vacuumed the whole house, and then sat down and watched some videos.

The videos (see YouTube) were of people who had used the method of trapping fleas in a bowl/plate of warm water with plenty of added dish soap, then a desk lamp is shone continuously on the dish in an otherwise dark room.

Well, I don't have a desk lamp so I placed it by the halogen heater near where I sit and kept my eye on it very carefully for safety's sake.

My cat has been chilling next to the bowl for a while, and the dog just showed up briefly (he doesn't have fleas).

I wish I had a desk lamp to leave on all night... When I go to bed in a minute, I will turn off the heater and remove the water but, glad to say, I haven't had any fleas jump in over the last two hours. The dots on the bowl are just stars!

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else wanted to try it who has a desk lamp.
    fleas.JPG

2. I will be borrowing a desk lamp tomorrow, and will leave the flea trap out all Sunday night in the living room and report back with any findings and a picture of the set-up. Just vacuumed the whole house again and have done more washing and outdoor rug-brushing. If there's an upside to finding a flea, it is that the house gets a thorough and purposeful cleaning!

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@shingigz - this method of flea eradication is one that used to be recommended to cat owners when I was a kid growing up, and in those days safe flea treatments for pets were not so easily available or affordable as they are now.

To be honest I never heard of anyone trapping a single cat flea (or dog flea) using this method. I know my mother never did when she tried it. Mind you, if you tried it in the summer with your window open you'd trap a fair few moths, though one wouldn't want them to drown of course. :)

4. If you type 'trap fleas water soap' into YouTube, you will see some examples. I know it's for an infestation really, but I like to experiment. I may do the experiment a few times over the next few months. It's only the cost of a led light for a few hours overnight. Obviously I hope I don't find any! The light from the lamp needs to be very close to the water, and the room dark. I am 'itching' to try it, but have to await the arrival of a borrowed desk lamp tomorrow.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I would think that when the YouTubers managed to trap fleas with that method it must have been the 'tip of the iceberg', and there were thousands more fleas hiding in corners etc, too smart to go near the light! ;) Fleas are smart insects with a strong survival instinct.

Good luck with your flea hunting anyway, (or rather, I should say, I hope you don't find any! ;))

Bilai, OrientalSlave and gskinner123 like this.
  6. Thanks. It is the heat (from the lamp) that they are instinctively attracted to. I don't think they are that smart, but they certainly do have a strong survival instinct.

7. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

I've left half finished sudoku out in the porch and it's never been finished by any insects so they're not smart enough to do that at least.

Bilai and chillminx like this.
  8. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

But did you leave a pen?

chillminx and Quartermass like this.
  9. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Many years ago there used to be an electric flea trap with a sticky base, the idea being that the heat would attract the fleas which would stick to the base. A friend and I each bought one. I knew I had no fleas so was not surprised I never caught one but my friend had seen them on her cats. I don't think she ever caught a flea on the trap but the cats were always getting it stuck to their tails.

Betty6691, chillminx and gskinner123 like this.
  10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I bought one of those traps too!;) All it ever caught was dust and cat hair:D

chillminx likes this.
  11. Here is my flea trap. I will leave it out in the living room all night when I go to bed. Bowl of water with plenty of fairy liquid mixed in. I'm not expecting to find any as I have vacuumed the whole house every day for three days straight, and washed everything that would fit into the washing machine.

Flea Trap.JPG

12. All moths that enter my house end up in my cat's stomach... one of her favourite snacks.

13. The result.

I positioned the flea trap in the area that she hangs out sleeping a lot during the daytime and evening - next to the halogen heater. I am happy to report that there were NO fleas, just four midgies/gnats, as I have always called them - teeny weeny flies with no solidity to them, unlike fleas, which are flat, triangular and hard-bodied.

I will carry on vacuuming every day until a week has gone, then every other day for a further week in case there are any eggs that may be around and that I may have missed and that may hatch out. Then I will repeat the experiment.

Flea Trap (2).JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice