Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas + Bob Martin! Help!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by InkyKitty, Jun 30, 2009.

1. InkyKitty

InkyKitty PetForums Newbie

Right, first off, Hello! Me and my partner got two lovely little kittens, 8 weeks old about 3 days ago. I decided to check them for fleas, and they were COVERED. The guy who sold them to us declined to tell us this, or even check, so I asked him to get us some Flea treatment, as y'know, we didn't expect kittens with fleas!

He gave us Bob Martin flea treatment, so I applied it and isolated them in the bathroom whilst I made do with a hoover and some lemon juice/hot water bowls to get rid of the fleas that I could. I managed to combi Fexxi, but Squig hates it :( Found 10+ adult fleas on each of them!

Then Squig started to foam at the mouth a bit and went a bit lethargic :( I washed them both immediately and washed Squigs mouth, had her drink a little bit of water. Dried and combed them, they're back in our room now. They're both moving around fine but I'm still quite worried!

I've gotten some Aerosol flea killer on order to arrive soon, should be a few days, as well as some Flea Spray for kittens and powder for the carpets. I will go and pick up some Frontline tomorrow if the kitties aren't sick, maybe ring the vet for some proper stuff :(

Argh, I've had kittens and cats but never FLEAS! And this Bob Martin stuff seems NASTY!

Please advise :(

Anna & Joey, Squig and Fexxi x

2. Firstly!
    Forget the BM flea treatment!
    You really need one of the prescription treatments available from the vets! You can also buy these online and they are a lot cheaper! but due to the tender age it is best to speak with you vet first as some preperations are not suitable under twelve weeks!
    We go our last cat now fifteen when he was just 3 weeks old! (long story) he was wriggled in fleas so we washed him in the sink (not recommended) we have since used the frontline on him and believe he has remained free of these little blighters!
    lol
    DT

3. InkyKitty

All the stores had run out of Frontline! So we got them the 4fleas tablets instead. Just done the first fumigation of the house and managed to get the kittens to take the tabs with the aid of a pair of tweezers!

Going to give more tablets in 2 weeks and refumigate in a week :) x

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

BOb Martin is pants - it won't cure your problem and you will end up doing it all over again. Go to the vets and get Frontline - the kittens will need a check over anyway and probably need worming to and you need to see about their jabs so kills 3 birds with one stone and do it all at once.

5. There are several other preperations online that are compatable with frontline - just make sure you check the instructions as per dosage with you cat being so young. Again I add - may initially be worth a visit to the vet! Also has the kiten been wormed?
    regards
    DT

6. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Please take ur kittens to the vets! we have had loads of cats in that have had bob martins and have made them have fits damage them dont want to worry you but just to be on the safe side please take them also shave where youve applied the bobs martins youve done right job by washing it off as much as poss keep us up to date :)

i hate this stuff the vets at work are starting a list recording the different animals that have had fits from bob martins its only been since jan and theres a lot of them! they need to be stopped from selling this stuff people think their doing the right thing by applying flea treatment to there pets only to have it poss make them ill :(

7. InkyKitty

Kittens are being wormed this weekend :) Will ring the vets and get them a checkover and jabs and such! Both Squig and Fexxi are fine now!

Gave them the 4fleas tablets and the fleas have just dropped off :) Also, sprayed and hoovered the carpets twice, brushed and washed the kitties and nuked all the bedding and bed linen etc. :) They look ok now, but will have another check over and such :D

8. Anya Wood

Anya Wood PetForums Newbie

I read your message and wanted to get in touch. I’m sorry to hear that your kittens have had an adverse reaction to a flea treatment but I’m relieved that they are both OK now. I am the PR manager for Bob Martin and would like to offer some help and advice on our products so that you feel reassured about what to use in the future.

There are very few reactions to Bob Martin’s cat specific products. It is possible that the treatment you were given contained an ingredient called Permethrin which has long been used as an effective way to protect dogs from fleas. It is however not safe for cats and all Permethrin-based treatments contain clear warnings not to use on cats.

We have a large range of flea treatments for different types/sizes of animal and many are specifically formulated to be safe for cats. We have just launched our new Double Action Spot On which is safe to use on cats and dogs to kill fleas and it also protects the home environment so you don’t need to worry about carpet treatments etc. – I know that this has been a concern for you.

The new Double Action Spot On is a veterinary strength product which offers the same level of effectiveness as products from your vet but at a lower price. If you’d like to send me your details I can arrange for some product to be sent and you can trial it. Please do not hesitate to get in touch for advice and I will help in any way I can. Anya.:)

9. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

firstly i seriously doubt your claims that bob martin is as strong as veterinary products!!
    secondly op i would be very concerned about the amount of flea treatments put on young kittens in a short space of time!! frontline combo,from your vets would have sorted not only the cats,but the house to!!! a lot simpler that the route you took;) 4 fleas is no better that what you origionally used,even the frontline you buy from petshops is not at the same concentration/strength it was when it was veterinary perscribed only;)
    fleas=worms so they will need treating,forget the petshop brands,go to the vets for panacur(available from pet stores)mibelmax or drontal.:)

1 person likes this.
  10. InkyKitty

I can *assure* you it was the stuff for cats, as I've got the packaging right here.

Oh, I haven't given the cats ANYTHING other than the Bob Martin drops, which I washed off and the 4fleas tablets (Which appear to have done the job.)

I'm taking them both to the vets this weekend to get everything sorted. :)

11. Trellis

Trellis PetForums Member

I took Fluffy for a check up at the vets when we got him at 9 weeks and the vet found some flea dirt on him so prescribed some Stronghold which also treats worms (except thread worm I think?) He was fine with this and I use it now every 4-6 weeks.

12. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

Hi, i had a flea break out last summer, coz i was stupidly using the wilkinson spot ons! (my mum thinks they are great)

i got some flea spray for the house, and i actually got Bob Martin spot ons, and they was gone within a week. Ive never had a problem with bob martin, and ive actually been told its actually the old front line. just cant call it anything different.

personal preference i think sometimes. If it does the job then great! if not....frontline lol

while i can get away with bob, i will.

13. SuperSub

SuperSub PetForums Junior

14. Trellis

Trellis PetForums Member

I am so glad I have read these reviews on the internet. Ages ago I bought Fluffy a Bob Martin flea collar, but luckily he was too young for it so I never put it on and I have now (thankfully) lost it, otherwise he may have ended up poorly!:(

I will stick to the Stronghold from the vets - it's quite pricey but at least I know it won't hurt him!

15. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

There are very few reactions to Bob Martin’s cat specific products.

well this is a lie because we have started a list on the different cats that had had bad reactions and DIED because of this product they also brought the packaging in and all say safe for cats! If they arnt safe they shouldnt say it!

many people go out to the shops buying this product as it is a known brand thinking they are doing good by their pets yet they arnt and in alot of cases are rushing them to a vets within the next couple of hour with the animal fitting!

i cant believe the amount of cases i have seen in the last year as working as a vet nurse of fitting and animals having to be ptsd because of this product and advise everyone not to buy the product. some might think its because wer a vets and want the money .NO as we sell the products cheaply because we are non profit making so cant even say we are biased.

like someone else has said this product shouldnt be on the shelves and i very much doubt your new product wont be as strong as veterinary prescribed ones or it would be on veterinary shelves making more money wouldnt it!

Also the flea collars dont work theres no point in them at all but yet again people think they are doing right by their animals and buy them only to have to go out and buy a decent flea treatment that works.

Anyway im glad ur kittens are doing well and look forward to see lovely piccies of them shortly:)

16. Anya Wood

Anya Wood PetForums Newbie

Hello Trellis. Good to hear your view. Just a note about the comparable quality of products available in vets and retail – I understand what you say that in some cases products are not of the same strength. However, the one product which I have mentioned – Double Action Spot On - is in fact an identical product to one that has been sold in vets for many years under a different name and is exactly the same formula and strength.

Bob Martin’s Easy to Use Dewormer is also the same active ingredients as Panacur and our 2-in-1 Dewormer is the same concentration/strength as Drontal. The pet health care sector is now moving in the same direction as the human health care sector where licensed pharmaceutical products are now available in identical formulas and strengths under different brand names directly ‘off the shelf’.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice