Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

FLEAS, argh.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Winchester, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Winchester

Winchester PetForums Member

Alright. So I've basically tried everything to get rid of these buggers but they keep coming back. I've given all 3 dogs a big flea bath, put on a flea collar, used flea drops on the back of their necks, and entirely cleaned up my house. My one dog doesn't have it as bad, but the other two have fleas so bad that they're chewing open sores on their backs :(

Is there some flea spray or some other method that might help?
    And yes I have a vet appointment booked.

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

getting rid from the house is not easy, my sis is going through it now.

they hide evrywhere and once a cocoon are impervious to insecticides, they have a life cycle of about 2 weeks, but can lay dormant for up to 2 years.

google flea infestations and similar phrases. they are stubborn little buggers.

3. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

When you go to see the vet ask for household spray as they sell one that is brilliant and really works. It is expensive but worth every penny.
    For the dog I use Advocate on mine and no problems or fleas.

4. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

A house that we bought years ago was riddled with them we got some spray from the vets and didnt see em again!

5. Winchester

Winchester PetForums Member

Ok, thanks!
    I'll definitely ask the vet tomorrow when I go.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Fleas baths and flea collars are pretty useless.

You also need to be careful not to use so many things in a short space of time, otherwise your dog could get toxic poisoning.

Something like Frontline (i think they do combo for dogs - treats the house as well as the animal), or advocate would be the best.

Petshop stuff is useless, so avoid that.

7. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Agree with Nonnie!Also best to wash anything washable as well as treating with a household spray!And you need something that will kill eggs, larvae and the fleas as it will be the eggs and larvae that are likely reinfecting your house- they dont live on your pet they live and feed off debris on your carpets until they turn into fleas and can feed off you/pet!Lovely eh lol!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice