Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleas are evil and need to die

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Domino1986, May 27, 2019.

1. Domino1986

Domino1986 PetForums Newbie

Hi all ive been using a flea repel , wilkinsons own and been fine and thinking that ive been a good cat mum and now we have a problem, i have two cats domino my big fat indoor old grump also known as my baby : ) and jet a stray who decided both me and me bed are her pillow. I feel guilty and even crying because i feel guilty that my choice has caused them to feel such discomfort. I cannot put on anything for like 3 weeks as ive recently put on their repel then found the issue. I use a flea comb on them both every day and tried some diametrious (spelt wrong) dirt and looks like its been working as ive combed some dead ones off but couldnt put much on domino as he is quite a big boy and moves so its hard to aim. Im also using johnsons spray to keep the fleas down while i wait for the time i can use some frontline plus. Im going to put some more of the dirt on them but be more planning in my actions leave it on for a few days then bathe then do it again till 18th when i can use the frontline am i the only one who acts like a big girl when this happens lol. I love my cats and its not easy to comb them as i have bad hands but i do it every day as it helps them and they turn into big purring puddles of fluffyness when i comb them.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You need to treat the house. Indorex, RIP Fleas or Acclaim are all good. I've no idea what the active ingredients in the Wilco & Johnson's products are, but be aware that there are some very bad reviews for the Wilco spot-on, and also anything with Fipronil in may not work where you are - Advantage spot-on contains a different active ingredient.

You can buy all of the treatments mentioned above online, they are not expensive. Also read all of the RIP fleas website which will help you treat them effectively.

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  3. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Hi,

I’m sure someone else will be along with better advice soon but don’t use Frontline. It has the same active ingredient (fipronil) as the Wilkinson treatment, which in some areas now is known to be ineffective.

My boy gets Prinovox which is from the vet which contains imidacloprid and moxidectin instead. Advantage and Advocate which you can buy also use imidacloprid.

I’m afraid I can’t help more with dealing with the actual fleas in the meantime!!

4. Domino1986

Domino1986 PetForums Newbie

Thanks guys, the frontline has different strengths id be trying the stronger one. The dirt works ive actually picked a few dead ones off domino. Also ive had a couple of extra slow ones that were easily killed. Until i can put the frontline on which is 18th of june its more keeping them at bay. But ive only had some fleas on domino whose mostly white ive found 2 full grown ones which i killed and a few small ones. But i do know its basically a neverending cycle till i can do the cats but i feel better now that i have a plan of action for my cats which include daily brushes with the flea comb

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

"Wilko Flea Repel" just repels fleas, it contains no insecticide so it does not kill fleas. I wouldn't use it.

Johnson4Fleas spot on for cats contains the insecticide imidacloprid which is effective at killing fleas.

Frontline spot-on for cats contains the insecticide fipronil which is no longer effective in some parts of the UK at killing fleas.

Advantage contains imidacloprid and also the insecticide pyriproxyfen, so is more effective than just the imidacloprid alone (as in Johnsons4Fleas). Advantage can be bought online from pet pharmacies without a prescription.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-products-flea-treatments-advantage-flea-treatments-c-3_660

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It doesn't matter what strength of front line you use if the fleas are resistant to it. And the fleas on the cats are the tip of the iceberg. They feed, and then lay eggs which drop off into the house. When they hatch the larvae crawl into dark places to grow & pupate.

Soozi and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice