Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fleaing

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Shona268, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Shona268

Shona268 PetForums Newbie

Hi so I used bob martin spot on flea treatment on my puppy. Iv been stupid and forgotten about not washing her and iv giving her a bath as she got something really sticky on her. Is the flea treatment now void, do I need to give her more and can I give her more? Or should I just go to the vets and get something from them.

Any advice would be great.
    Thank you

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What was the time lapse between the treatment and the bath? I don't know the answer about repeating the treatment but I think the times will be important.

And the Bob Martin doesn't have a great reputation, better to pay more for something effective than to have a flea infestation . Does your puppy actually have fleas or are you just trying to prevent them?

tabelmabel and Torin. like this.
  3. Shona268

So I only just did her yesterday, along with my other two dogs. So about 14 hours.
    I wasn't aware they weren't that good, that sucks I got it cause it was what they had in the shops when I googled them I didn't see anything.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

They contain fiprinol which isn't effective anymore at getting rid of fleas. Same reason a lot of people won't touch frontline any more as it's because it's not effective for fleas like it was.

Have you treated your house too?

Fleas tend to feed on the chosen animal then when full have a nice siesta somewhere cosy and warm. So treating the house too is paramount. Using something like RIP fleas available online is the way to go, move furniture vacuum, spray then vacuum again after a short period of time. Then vacuum vacuum vacuum a lot after this to get rid of anything remaining.

JoanneF and Torin. like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Anything that works properly can only be given to you by a vet or by prescription with an online company. I have no idea how Bob Martin products have kept going as they have never worked. You would have thought that enough people would have realised this and stopped buying them. They have been around doing nothing much for at least 50 years

6. Shona268

Aw well I'm glad I know that now, we are part of a pet plan so we get our other two done every 3 months and we have just signed her up to it, but we got her in Wednesday and she was obviously meant to be treated but we don't think she has been so she has brought them in.
    I'm going to phine the vet tomorrow and just get something for her there.
    We have washed everything we can blanket, toys, clothes and we are going to get the spray tomorrow. We have bone combed them all as well.

It is very surprising that products like Bob martin are still being sold I mean if we know they don't work why do we still let them be sold.

Blitz likes this.
  7. lullabydream

Had to giggle...

Although many moons ago, I wouldn't touch them now. I am sure Bob Martin had a wormer for dog that was such a faff, 2 types of tablets, given at different times blurgh blurgh, have dogs the runs...but worms it was brilliant. Stopped selling it though for all in ones...so bought vets/local pharmacy/online from then on.

I wondered if because it always just gave your dogs the runs, that it just 'blasted' everything out. Only used it on my first dog that came to me with worms so I don't know!

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When I worked for a vet in the 70s there were frequently puppies coming in riddled with worms that had been treated with Bob Martins. I had a pup absolutely full of worms about 20 years ago that had been wormed with it. I have never seen so many worms!

lullabydream likes this.
  9. lullabydream

Maybe I was just lucky...it might not have been Bob Martin's to be honest. Didn't like seeing worms though in the poo. There is always the possibility that he was wormed before, but I highly doubt it. No one attempted to find him as he was picked up as a stray.

Blitz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice