Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Flea & wormer for my furbaby

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by boom27, Feb 10, 2019.

1. boom27

boom27 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, my little furbaby hasn't had her flea treatment for 3 months now and is also due a wormer. She is mainly a house cat and if she does go out, its only in the garden. I hate giving her flea treatments as its just poisions in her body, but i know she has to have it. She has had a reaction in the past to flea treatment so vets suggested stronghold. Is your opinion is that the best one? Everytime i treat her i get so nervous. Also i need to worm her as well, any recommendations would be appreciated. Many thanks.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @boom27, which flea treatments did your cat react badly to? Did she get a sore patch on her skin where you'd applied it? Or do you mean she was upset about having it applied?

One of my cats gets very upset by the spot-on flea treatments. He has had different types at different times, e.g. Advocate, Advantage, Stronghold and they all have the effect of making my normally good-natured boy become frightened and angry and avoid me for a whole day afterwards. So for this winter I switched to giving him Program liquid once a month which I add to his food. He is fine with this, but it only stops any adult fleas breeding on him, it would not kill any fleas that jumped on him. For that I would need the tablet Capstar as well (which is only effective for 24 hrs)

I have combed him every day all winter with a flea comb and have seen no fleas, but am not happy to rely on Program for the summer months when the fleas are much more active. I plan to switch him to Bravecto spot-on which kills fleas as well as stopping them breeding, and can be given once every 3 months. He may still hate it but at least it won't be every month! :(

https://www.bravecto.com.au/spot-on-cats

3. shingigz

shingigz PetForums Member

I give my cat flea treatment (Advantage brand) roughly once a year whenever I see a flea, and she goes outdoors. I don't want to poison her unnecessarily. Others will have different opinions. I've wormed her three times in 10 years, once when she had worms, and twice when I suspected she may have them... but she most likely didn't.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I would worry if I waited to see a flea on one of the cats that my house might be infested with fleas, and I'd have the nightmare of getting the house clear with a powerful household insecticide. I prefer not to have to use those as I have asthma which is triggered by chemicals etc. :(

sandy-cat likes this.
  5. shingigz

I am extremely vigilant, and have only ever had one cat at a time, which I think makes it easier. If I see her scratching, which is rare, I brush and comb her every day, and do a flea check. (I brush her every day from March to October anyway.) I always get them early. Then I will treat her, wash all blankets, cat bedding and my bedding on the same day, and vacuum every inch of the house every day for two weeks. And that's the end of it. No chemicals needed. It is just what has always worked for me. I also give her the lower dose, and this has always worked. I worry more about poisoning her little body and her potentially getting cancer than I do about the house being infested, which it never has been. Another thing which helps me is having a minimalist home - little furniture and no clutter.

The last time I treated her (August 2018), she didn't even have fleas - the dog did (extremely easy to see them on him and I knew the day he got them), but I treated the cat on the same day.

6. Pinto

Pinto PetForums Member

I can't remember the last time I have used any flea treatments on my two. When I did I used Advantage I still have two pipettes left which are close to their expiry date. I worm them once a year using Milebex. I brush them weekly and check for anything amiss.

7. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I hated giving my cat flea treatment as she reacted so badly with a period of depression and would seek a dark place to hide where she closed her eyes and was reluctant to open them as though the chemicals affected them. She'd remain like that for 24 hours.
    Since I've been using Prinovox spot on she hasn't had any strong reaction. I used it tonight and she hid for 5 minutes, then had something to eat, so back to normal. She's always a bit subdued after, but nothing like before.
    It prevents and treat fleas, ear mites, round worm and heartworm. It doesn't treat tapeworm so you need something like Drontal too for that.
    Contains Moxidectin and Imidacloprid.
    I find it easier to administer too as the pipettes are not the sort where you snip/break the top which leaves a sharp edge, but with a screw top. You just invert the top to pierce the pipette.
    Doesn't have much of a smell either. The others I've used, she could smell the second I opened them and would try to hide.
    The only other treatments I've used are Frontline, Ectoline and Broadline, which all contain Fipronil, so can't comment on any others.
    Prinovox works for us and she's much happier with it, and it DOES exactly what it's supposed to. I also use a household flea spray (Indorex) twice a year and don't have a flea problem indoors.

Saffy Cat likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Prinovox contains the same ingredients as Advocate, in the same strengths. Unfortunately my cat hated it, and the smell triggered my asthma. :(

9. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

That's a shame. It's annoying when you know something does a good job yet you can't use it.
    I'm the same with aerosols. They have me sneezing for England. Good job there are alternatives for some of them now.:)

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

IF absolutely no other cats can get into your garden and she cannot get out (not the same as 'she doesn't leave it often') you might be fine if you don't flea her. However if you have a dog you have to keep it's flea treatment up-to-date.

And remember that flea bites contain chemicals, which is why some cats are allergic to them.

11. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

The last time I flead and wormed was about 2.5yrs ago and that was just one. Unless you see fleas and worms, you don't need to administer it, particularly not for a mainly indoor cat

12. shingigz

I remember one summer a few years ago, I found a flea and treated my cat with Advantage spot-on >4k dose as is advised for her weight (now she gets the <4kg dose, though she weighs 5kg). She spent a full day under the bed looking under the weather after the treatment. Three months later I found a drowsy flea on my duvet cover (I have white covers in summer, even though I don't want white, but it makes it very easy to spot flea excrement). This flea must have bitten my cat and the poison was still in her bloodstream and effective at killing fleas three months later. I was disgusted at the thought. Many people would have given her two or three more preventative treatments during this time.

One time I tried getting rid of them organically to experiment. I gave her her first ever (and last!) bath. I then sat down every evening for several weeks with a bowl of warm water with added Fairy Liquid and combed her thoroughly with a nit comb for about 15-20 minutes. I would usually find one or two fleas and drop them into the water where they couldn't escape. After a week, all the adults had gone, but the eggs were hatching and I would catch a couple of tiny ones every day that had grown big enough to trap in the comb's teeth. But it never ended so I had to treat her with drops in the end.

13. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Treating for fleas after you see them is a classic case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted: you will almost certainly have an environmental infestation on your hands by then.

I personally don't believe that indoor cats necessarily need prophylactic treatment, but those going outdoors do unless you are happy to risk an infestation. Some people are happy to risk infestation. Others are not. Others still live with near-constant infestation. It's a personal risk: benefit analysis to be made.

Some cats with severe FAD may need continuous prophylaxis even if indoors, as just a few bites could cause a marked reaction.

Indoor cats may still be at risk of fleas - for example if a family dog is unprotected against fleas, or if human household members spend time in a flea-infested environment.

My mum's house has an intermittent flea problem as their flea control regime (dogs and cats) is patchy. I generally don't treat Bagpuss for fleas as he virtually never goes out, but I do apply Advocate/Advantage/whatever I've got knocking about when I return from a stay at my mum's house - just in case I bring some stowaway flea eggs or pupae with me.

Eggs can end up in your stuff if a flea--infested cat sits or sleeps on it. Pupae are a little sticky, so can stick to your stuff if you put it down on the floor or furniture.

I do NOT want fleas in my home - they're disgusting!

14. Bobalina17

Bobalina17 PetForums Newbie

I'm sorry to jump in to your thread but I'm wondering the same thing! I'm thinking of taking my two out on harnesses for the first time soon. We don't have a private garden, so I'm thinking I should buy some Advantage to treat them. We're going to try taking them along our (quiet) street initially and see how that goes. Unfortunately the lovely wee and very convenient park at the back of our building has lots of dogs that are off leash (sadly, despite there being a dedicated off-leash area they don't use). How frequently should we treat them - monthly? Or would less often be better for them? Thanks so much!

Summercat likes this.
  15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The manufacturers' recommendation is that flea treatment is given every month on a regular basis. That will give the cats continuous protective cover, which is what you need. Therefore it will be best to comply with the manufacturers' advice.

The manufacturers of Advantage state that it provides protection for a month. If you want a make that provides longer protection there is a make called Bravecto, which contains a different insecticide and provides protection for 3 months.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/bran...MIobXioui44AIV8wrTCh1x1A1iEAAYBCAAEgKku_D_BwE

Incidentally if you plan to walk your cats in a public area such as the street, I recommend you only take one cat out at a time, and that you take with you a cat carrier every time, in case of anything unexpected happening, such as e.g. a loud noise or the sudden appearance of a dog, so you can pop the cat inside the carrier for safety. It is no fun trying to carry a frightened cat home in your arms, I can tell you!

16. Bobalina17

Thank you @chillminx, that's helpful to know that it's a monthly treatment. I'll make sure to read the instructions carefully once I've purchased the Advantage.

Thanks also for the tips on taking the cats out on the harness. My partner and I were planning on taking them both out at the same time, since they're inseparable. Would you advice against doing this even if there's two people? Very nervous about it so don't want to take any risks! We have cat carriers that are backpacks with top and front entrances so we were going to wear those and take them out with us.

The little park out the back would have been perfect but there's just so many dogs so I think they would be totally spooked. We rent and have a shared roof garden but that wouldn't really work either, as it's not walled as such. There's also what looks like ivy growing on the building, which I believe is poisonous so we want to avoid that. Hopefully if we choose a quiet time of day, they will enjoy having a short wander on the street outside.

Thanks again and I'm sorry to hijack the thread!

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Bobalina17, if there are two of you, one to each cat, you should be Ok. Just keep in mind that if one cat gets spooked by something outside it may set the other cat off. (such things are contagious!)

I recommend the carriers are ones that are very easy to get a cat into, because times you are most likely to need them are when the cat is frightened and not at their most co-operative at being put into a small enclosed space.

Years ago, when I lived in a city I had no garden and had 4 indoors cats. I used to take my cats in the car a 25 minute journey, to a friend's garden for walks twice a week. She lived on the edge of the city and had a huge enclosed garden. My cats loved it, and they were safe there. I kept them on long leashes and let them wander where they wanted, so they could take their time to sniff around and explore, as cats like to do. Much better than the street.

#17 chillminx, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Bobalina17 likes this.
  18. Bobalina17

Hi @chillminx, thank you again for the tips! (And apologies again for highjacking this thread and going a bit off topic...)

We bought the Advantage spot on flea treatment and we'll continue to apply it on a monthly basis :)

Absolutely, couldn't agree more about the carrier! We found that these fabric backpack carriers are a lot easier to use than our fiddly plastic carrier. The added bonus is that they like them and treat them like extra cat caves! Despite taking them back and forth to the vet, they don't have any negative associations and there's no difficulty getting them into the carriers, which is great.

We live in London currently, I really wish we had friends nearby with a garden we could 'borrow' in the absence of our own! Sadly we don't drive and don't have anyone nearby :(

I've been doing a recce of the park next door, and they do have a dog exclusion area which might be worth trying at a quiet time. The fence separating it from the rest of the park isn't exactly big and robust though, so I do worry. I've also emailed the parks department of my borough council and both neighbouring boroughs to see if there's any suitable dog-free areas we could use. Failing that, long periods of time can go by with hardly any vehicles and no pedestrians or dogs on our street - just birds and squirrels on the trees - so that's still our back-up option. Mynwood harness training going very well so far! :)

chillminx likes this.
  19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Bobalina17 , thanks for the update. :)

The park next door sounds a nice place for the cats.:) There will be lots of interesting things for the cats to sniff at and places to explore.

If you go to the dog-exclusion area at a quiet time and let the cats out on their harnesses and leashes, you can keep a sharp lookout for the appearance of any dog owners + their dogs. Then calmly pick up the cats and pop them safely in their carriers until the dog has gone.

Bobalina17 likes this.
  20. Bobalina17

Thank you! Brilliant, we'll try the dog exclusion area of the park. Fingers crossed, it will be their regular area to explore!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice