Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flea treatment

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Summ3rain, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Summ3rain

Summ3rain PetForums Member

What flea treatments do everybody on here use that's known to be effective? I've been using Advantage for a while now but have a suspicion that Hedgie might be allergic :( so looking for an alternative...

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Wiggins had the most horrific reaction to Advantage where it literally burnt his skin so I will never use a spot on for him again. That said, I am not terribly keen on using spot on anyway!
    You could look into Program, either the liquid or the injection....or there is tablet called Comfortis which I researched too.
    I have always relied mainly on treating the house thoroughly with Indorex or similar and not really had any problems even with multiple cats.

3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I use advocate from the vet. It does fleas, worms, and lungworms which is apparantly on the increase in my area. We have a lot of slugs in our garden so I won't take any chances.

Viv xx

4. Summ3rain

Thanks @Paddypaws ill have a look into those. I'm sorry to hear Wiggins had such an awful reaction to Advantage :eek: Hedgie's is nowhere near as bad thankfully.

She had an issue with overgrooming starting around a year ago. Vet checked her, we tried an elimination diet, ruled out stress the best we could- nothing seemed to help :( Then she started improving over the winter months for no apparent reason... It never occurred to me that I had stopped de-fleaing her at the time. Now that it's warmer I popped some Advantage on 2 days ago, and she's scratching and grooming like she did before again :( Could be a coincidence, who knows, but would like to try something different just to see.

The injection sounds interesting, I'll have a chat with my vet if it's suitable for her, thanks again :)

5. Summ3rain

Thanks Viv. I was under the impression that Advocate has the same ingredients as Advantage, but with a dewormer? I'll double check with my vet to see if that's an option, thanks.

vivien likes this.
  6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

It was awful. He must have felt like I had put acid on his skin and I do think it has scarred him for life in that he is very jumpy. Luckily I have a vet just a few doors down so I ran straight down there with him and they got most of the product off him but his skin was raw and blistered.

7. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

The HBs use the program injection as I deem them to be relatively low risk (being mostly indoors) It's great because it lasts 6 months so I don't have to think about it too often though.

8. Summ3rain

Thanks @huckybuck , Hedgie is mainly indoors too but has some backyard time on a harness once in a while. Although she's never out for long I'm always paranoid she'll bring fleas back in! The Program injection definitely sounds like a good option thanks :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice