Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

flea treatment in winter?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claireandandy, Nov 8, 2012.

1. claireandandy

claireandandy PetForums Member

dont all laugh at me at once but some 1 told me today that u dont need to flea dogs in winter???

2. Tillydog

Tillydog PetForums Junior

We've never used flea treatments on Tilly in the 2 years we've had her and she's never had fleas

3. claireandandy

mine havnt ever had them either but were we walk its all woodland and long grass i flea treated her begining of the summer months for precaution and im just unsure as to do it again,we did get a tick on her that left nasty infected bites but thats about it really.alot of people dont treat them i have heard ,what do u do for the best ? lol x

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I used to think that at one time, but when you consider that most of us have central heating if there's any in the house they'll still be about in the winter (eggs hatching). My d-i-l recently acquired a kitten, August/September time, it's 5 months old now and still hasn't been outside yet (wont go out until it's been spayed). Seems like this kitten came with a few "friends" but it wasn't until about 3 or 4 weeks ago that it became apparent, she hadn't noticed them on the kitten but she saw them on the two dogs who'd never had fleas before. She then checked the kitten and yep, that's where they were!

She's having a devil of a job getting rid of them. All animals were Frontlined but it hasn't done the job, she now has Advantage for the animals, and she's going through the house vacuuming and spraying with Indorex. What she's seeing now are very tiny fleas, almost as if they've just hatched.

And I remember during last winter in January I visited a friend's house whose cat had died around Christmas time. Not the cleanest house and I doubt she actually used any sort of flea prevention. Poppy came home infested and I was only there an hour. Luckily I noticed them almost straight away and I bathed her and got about 50 fleas off her that night.

So yes, fleas are around in winter and I personally shall be keeping up my flea prevention with my cat and dog.

5. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I don't flea treat mine from about October until March and I have never had a problem with fleas.:)

6. Tillydog

Tillydog PetForums Junior

Tilly's walks and runs are 95% woodlands & fields, 5% beaches, she rolls in anything horrible including dead birds, game etc. Maybe we're lucky with her not getting fleas or ticks.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I treat mine every 3-4 months in summer/warmer months and 5-6 months in the colder months.

Only time I have had problems is from another dog.

8. claireandandy

thank you all for the difrent feed back my partner thinks we should just leave her bee we havnt ever had a flea problem shes only ever with my mums dog and he hasnt ever had them either they both got flea treated together last time and they walk together at every walk so i supose if 1 gets them they both will so we can monitor closely thanks xx

9. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

I've not treated Sam since he was 8 weeks. Come to think of it I don't think I've treated Oscar for months either. I now just check for any signs and use a flea comb but as they are very short coated any dirt or fleas are easy to spot.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Same here. The only time I've ever seen a flea on Ziggy was when we were staying in a friend's infested house. Never seen one on Kite. I really only use the flea treatment against ticks as we have quite a bit of Lyme disease round here.

I don't use central heating most of the time though - just light the woodburner in the evening. And I don't have carpets.

11. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Spen's treated monthly in summer because of all the ticks here but once it starts getting cold I stop with it. In the UK I never used flea and tick treatment, just fed garlic regularly, and never saw a single one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice