Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flea treatment dilemma

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, Nov 29, 2012.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm after some opinions :)

Up until about 6 months ago, I was using Advocate on McKenzie, however, she always HATED having it applied and would do everything to avoid it, and would then go a bit crazy when it was on her. I think she just reacted to it and it hurt her, so I stopped using it.

The vet suggested Comfortas tablets instead, and I've been using them for the past 6 months. However, I'm really not happy about basically giving her a tablet of insecticide, it just doesn't seem right.

I feel I need to use some commercial product as fleas are a huge problem here due to the humid climate, and we had a flea problem last year which I don't wish to repeat. I give her garlic too, but see this as a backup measure.

I'm wondering if I should try one of the other topical treatments like Advantage, but not sure if she'll have the same sort of reaction as to the Advocate.

Has anyone got any other good ideas?

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

For me Advantage all the way!! We've got 2 cats as well as Heidi and (touch wood) havent had a problem since using it. RIP household spray is my main weapon. (not a suffocating smell and a fine spray that goes a long way.) Not tried Acclaim or Indorex.

I spray the house once a year and Advantage when I think necessary(3 times a year) which is a bit tongue in cheek but like you, I dont want to be overdoing it.

Before this regime, I had been treating the animals regularly and "just" holding my own in summer. Struggling with frontline becoming less effective. I didnt want to resort to something stronger.

I'm happy with Advantage because it's a monthly treatment and that's all they need. I have seen a flea and OH persuaded me it was a one off, no need to do anything. He was right and gave me faith in what I'm doing. I havent seen one since but if I did, the Advantage would come out. :D:D

3. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

I've never really seen the need to flea treat if none are present if I'm honest. It is exposing them to even more chemicals when it's not needed. I know a lot on here treat all the time but I don't know why.

I've never had a flea problem either, one bout in 20 years and it was treated and gone.

Do you need to treat more in NZ?

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'll try Advantage then :) I haven't seen that spray here.

We had a BIG flea outbreak here last year when I was a week late with flea treatment so I'm conscious that I do need to treat them regularly in summer. I never saw a single flea in the whole time I lived in the UK. Also Kenzie got flea allergy dermatitis so really trying hard to avoid the fleas again this year.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Indorex and Acclaim 2000 are supposed to be equally as good. (May even be the same drug, I haven't checked. As long as it's one of the "big guns" it's probably just as good. More about effectively treating the house than particular brand I expect.

Good luck.:D:D

6. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

I don't treat mine for fleas.. I used to buy advocate last year but when we moved we couldn't really afford it, we could barely afford to feed ourselves! But none of mine have ever had fleas.. touchwood!!!

What do people use to treat other things such as lungworm etc as I know advocate was given to us as it treated that.. :confused:

7. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

I have never ever seen a flea!!!!!!

The vet the other day told us that Cornwall is a flea haven as it is so damp!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice