Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flea treatment didn’t work

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rae12345, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Rae12345

Rae12345 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,
    So I applied Advocate to my dog just over a week ago, but it hasn’t worked :( I think it might’ve been because she went out in the rain for the toilet and maybe it got washed off. Anyway, I don’t want to reapply it yet incase it causes an overdose, but she’s really struggling with the fleas. Is there anything I can do to help with the fleas until I can treat her again? I hate seeing her scratching all the time :( I’ve heard things like apple cider vinegar can help? Thank you guys

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Advocate won't stop fleas landing on your pet - you have to thoroughly de flea your house to stop seeing fleas. Once the fleas bite your dog, they will die.

So the fact you are seeing fleas on your dog doesn't mean the treatment has failed.

I would pop in and see your vet for advice and see what he says. Have you treated your house with a good spray?

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You also need to treat the house - carpets, soft furnishings, bedding etc. and vacuum like crazy several times a day for 3 weekds to remove eggs and larvae and break the cycle.

You could try bathing her in a soothing shampoo - might drown any stragglers ! ;)

4. Rae12345

Ohh, thank you! We have, but it wasn’t the best spray, i wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t very effective :/ I’ll get a better one tomorrow and ask my vet about the fleas too. Thank you!

5. Rae12345

Thank you, we’ll definitely start doing that! And I’ll get her some soothing shampoo too, good idea!

6. Good advice about treating house or you'll never get rid of them. Don't give another dose without consulting your vet as you can poison your dog. There are shampoo treatments you can yes but again ask your vet.
    I add little ACV to the water and my girl never had fleas but not sure how effective it really is but it can do no harm.

Rae12345 likes this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

This explains the pupal window which shows you are working against life cycles of fleas so an infestation is hard to get rid of in a week

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/pupal-window/

Advocate works like advantage and is supposed to repel fleas that are in a certain raidus of your dog. If they are landing on a treated animal that would suggest to me the flea infestation is heavy or the application of the product has got on the animals skin more on the fur and therefore the full dose hasn't been used

8. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Neither Advantage nor Advocate have any repellent action.

9. lullabydream

I thought that's what it said on the package when the vet read it out to me years ago!

10. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Are you maybe thinking of Advantix ? It repels ticks from actually attaching to the skin, thus seriously reducing the risk of lyme disease, over other treatments that only kill them once they’ve attached.

lullabydream likes this.
  11. lullabydream

All I know years ago I was am swayed to use advantage by the vet because I usually react badly to any insect bites. So it was a selling point to me that fleas kept their distance. Could have been and unfound claim and they no longer state. It was just a bonus advantage was cheap online
    However touch wood have never had fleas

12. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Yes, Advantix repels ticks and mosquitoes, sand flies etc. I'm not aware that it specifically repels fleas, though it would be odd that it repels all those other bugs and not fleas.

Advantix contains permethrin, the repellent ingredient absent in Advantage and Advocate. This is also why Advantix is a dog-only product and must never be used on or around cats - permethrin is toxic to them.

13. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Does the Seresto collar work in the same way as Advantix? Since we've been using Advantix on the boys and Seresto on Indie (nearly 6 years) we haven't seen a single flea or tick. Funnily enough I have flea bites on my arms at the moment but I'm pretty sure I got bitten chopping down a bush in the garden possibly a hedgehog flea as we've seen him/her rustling about under the bush quite a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice