Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flea problem

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lorna89, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Lorna89

Lorna89 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I rescued a kitten last friday (7/2). We suspect he has been on the street for approximately 2 weeks.

On the Sunday (9/2) I noticed a flea crawling through his fur. With it being a sunday, I only had access to Amazon Prime so I purchased Frontline Spot On for Cats and applied the same day. I hoovered the house and all the furniture also.

I have been trying to check his fur but as I'm sure you can appreciate, this can be tricky as he often thinks I'm trying to play. Then today (15/2), I noticed another flea crawling through his fur.

I checked the packet on the treatment and it specifies not to treat your cat more frequently than every four weeks.

Can anyone suggest what to do?!!

Thanks in advance. 20200215_110236.jpg 20200215_110251.jpg

2. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Lorna 89: I appreciate that you were limited what product you could get your hands on, it being Sunday; but I (and I believe many others) no longer use Frontline as it seems, in some cases, to be totally ineffective. And agree, don't over-treat a kitten in particular as they may react badly to it. I would comb him as much as possible to remove whatever may be there. Indorex is a very good household spray (try to keep him away from it as you are spraying to stop him inhaling the fumes). The flea treatment I use which does work is Advantage (available Amazon etc without prescription). Another good one is Advocate (prescription required). The little guy will also need a wormer I'm guessing if he's been living rough. Sure someone will be along shortly with some useful advice . . . well done on taking him in, too.:Cat
    Maybe @chillminx will give some advice when she has a few minutes to spare.

Lurcherlad and Lorna89 like this.
  3. Lorna89

Lorna89 PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Wish I'd found this forum last week so I hadn't wasted money on Frontline!!

I presume I can't use any other treatments for at least another 3 weeks?

Thoughts on a flea collar perhaps?

Will try and get my hands on a comb and household spray in the meantime.

Thanks again.

Calvine likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Lorna89 -

No flea collars please! Many cats react badly to some types of flea collar, and other types are ineffective.

Have you had the kitten checked over by the vet yet? Did the vet say how old the kitten probably is? Many flea treatments (and worming treatments) are not safe for kittens under 8 weeks old.

Does the kitten still have blue eyes? If so he/she is not more than 6 weeks old. Can you upload a photo of him so we can see his size?

If you, or the vet, is fairly certain the kitten is over 8 weeks old, then you can use Advantage spot-on flea treatment 4 weeks after you gave kitty the Frontline. No sooner.

Until then you can comb him with a flea comb every day. Stand him on a white sheet on a table, get a bowl of water, and put a bit of washing up liquid in the water (soap changes the surface tension of the water and stops the fleas swimming to the edge and climbing out). Comb the kitten, dunk the comb in the water and remove the fleas from the comb, then wipe the comb on an old clean towel to get the soap off it before combing again.

Effective household sprays e.g Indorex, Acclaim, RIP Fleas can be bought online from Amazon. As Calvine says, they are very toxic for cats so you must keep the kitten well away from any areas you are spraying and not allow him back in the room until you have aired the room thoroughly.

Also, it is important to follow the advice about the Pupal Window below :

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/pupal-window/

and the 5 step Guide is useful too:

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/r-i-p-fleas-extra/

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lorna89

Lorna89 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

He is at least 6 months old. Weighs about 6lbs.

I managed to get a comb so I've done my best to comb through his coat today. Nothing came out...

The one I saw earlier was definitely alive, and a speedy little bugger at that! But hopefully the fact I got nothing on the comb means the problem isn't too bad.

I'll keep combing through in the meantime as with my having not got on anything out of his fur I am conscious the nasty buggers will be breeding.

Going to try and get hold of the household spray.

Thanks again for responding

#5 Lorna89, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You can use an oral treatment such as Johnson's 4 Fleas or Capstar. I actually prefer this as a first line of attack with strays even though you have to get a pill into them because there is the satisfaction of seeing the quick results and you can repeat it as necessary. Going forward you can get something long acting from a vet.

chillminx likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, good idea @havoc. :) I sometimes forget about Capstar as a first line of treatment. I shouldn't forget it as we often use it in the Shelter on our stray rescued cats when they first arrive.

havoc likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice