Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

flea problem

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by rhian d, Jul 4, 2012.

1. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

hi all I have not been on here for a while but could do with some advice. My cats don't go out but have picked up fleas, we have tried the frontline spot on and that has not got rid of them we have also been cleaning all the bedding, curtains and hoovering more. It has got to the point where keshi is scratching and getting sores on his neck. we have been brushing them with the flea comb but we dont always get anything out of their fur even tho we know they are there. has anybody got any advice of other products they have used that has worked? it has also been over 30 days since we used the frontline. thank u in advance for any help :)

2. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You could try Advantage which is a non-prescription spot-on. You must approach the whole thing as a military operation though, sadly it isn't enough to just vacuum 'more'. This is war :) You have to treat the cats and get everything else sorted within a couple of days then keep at it. Put the first load of washing in a hot wash then vacuum like mad especially round the edges of carpets. Use a spray on carpets edges and anything you can't wash. You then need to vacuum daily until you don't see any evidence of fleas for a few days. Then stay vigilant and start the whole process again if you see a single spot of flea dirt.

3. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

my OH has seen an electric flea comb on ebay has anyone usd one?

thank u for your advice when i treated the cats i did a load of washing including all the curtains and nearly all our clothes lol i have also seen a spray for carpets and things i want to find out what is best and most effective to get as we have been struggling financially so i want to get something that i know works.

4. jenfunfur

jenfunfur PetForums Member

When we had a flea problem i vacummed & washed like pp suggested then i steam cleaned/shampooed all my carpets & soft furnishings. Finally i swapped to Advocate from the vets, since then i've never seen evidence of fleas. I steamed the carpets thinking that the heat would maybe kill the fleas/eggs don't know if it helped but it made me feel better :) I would definitely speak to your vet as you could end up spending money on products that won't help with the allergy. I think some vets do an injection which might be worth looking into

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice