UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have joined the site today because as probably like many of you out there I am looking for sound advice (as well as tearing my hair out).

I know that this is probably going to be an "oh no not again question" but I NEED help :)

I have tried many expensive flea treatment for my dog Harvey including most of the well known advertised types (including sprays for carpets and furniture). I have also been to my local vet but they are not really working.
This of course has cost a small fortune.

OK - So it seems that because Harvey (a small King Charles cross) likes to explore underneath my hedgerows he is picking up fleas from I am told bird and amimal activity. Can anyone recommend a non toxic detterent (home made perhaps?)that I can spray underneath the hedges to discourage him from going there? And any other advice? Thank you for your help.
Ann

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Ann,

Welcome!:)

Finding and removing fleas are a fairly simple process. You can notice them with a close observation of the dog's fur, when you comb Harvey's hair.

The prevention is the key here, as in other things.;) If the problem has already occurred, take the animal doctor, just in time to be able to remedy it.

There is a natural flea alarm, but isn't magic and doesn't clean the dogs have fleas.

Your goal might be to build a flea-free environment. How, you ask?

Firstly, give garlic regularly to the dishes Harvey eats. Of course, you'll feel that in the breath of Harvey.

Even so, don't worry about it, your dog's health is concerned now. Garlic is not toxic for dogs, and consumed in moderate amounts has many homeopathic benefits.

Your next step is to obtain a small amount of diatomaceous earth. The diatomite is a natural marine material deposited in prehistoric times.

If you get stuck with the dog, the diatomite split the armor of fleas, so they quickly dehydrate.

Thirdly, you can add a small amount of beer yeast to Harvey's diet. The dog's body will process that, and the animal's skin got a fragrance and flavor, which the fleas don't tolerate.

I hope; this will help you in your endeavours.:)

Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for a detailed and concise answer it is very helpful.
I will try each remedy in turn, as I have learned that what works for one dog does not work for another.

I will of course post Harvey's progress and what the outcome is.

He has been on Bob Martin flea treatment and Effipro and a also carpet treatment called Virbac Indorex and is still scratching, he also wears a flea collar.
We do search for fleas and find the odd one or two.

We have been advised by the vet that fleas from bird droppings under the hedge plus other animal activity under there is more than likely the infection point.

I am very open to natural remedies too. This is why I have turned to Pet Forums for advice.

I have been told that dogs do not like the smell of citrus fruits, does anyone know if spraying under the hedges with a mixture of water and citrus extract would help keep him away?

Obviously I am causious of harm to Harvey.

Once again many thanks for your help

Ann

·
Registered
15 Posts
hiya, right we had this problem when we moved house last year. we mved into this rented house for 6months and our animals kept getting fleas and we had no idea why or how to get rid of them. we tried EVERYTHING and nothing would stop them coming back, untill i discovered they were in the carpet and as we were waiting for the house were in now, we couldnt move we had to stick it out. so i got a fumigater in. he cost £75 quid and oh my gosh it was brilliant he killed every bug in that house and problem solved. we then put flea drops on all the pets just incase they still had them and we didnt have a problem after that. fleas like warm places like bedding, blamkets etc, you cant just do the animal youve to do your whole house or you'll go round in circles, trust me best thing that worked for me was drops on the pets but fumigate your house. all the carpets everyroom all the furniture. xx

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you make a spray bottle up with Citronella essential oil and spray that in the places you do not want your dog to go, they dont like the smell.

I also take a natural approach to this and it works for me. I give my dogs an odourless garlic capsule daily in their food. I also ,ale up an essential oil spray using Lavender, Geranium and Lemon Grass which I spray on their beds when they have gone out and then on the sofas etc when they have gone to bed. This helps to kill any eggs and adult fleas. I also flea comb mine regularly.

If you have a serious problem, maybe its time to call Rentokil or something like that who will sort it out, then you can start your own natural routine.

Hope this helps

Puppy Love x

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
. Garlic is not toxic for dogs, and consumed in moderate amounts has many homeopathic benefits. Quote, Joyous Growler

There may well be herbal benefits in feeding garlic, but certainly NOT homeopathic ones. Homeopathy involves a specific method of preparation of the substance, not just putting it whole into food.

·
Registered
208 Posts
. Garlic is not toxic for dogs, and consumed in moderate amounts has many homeopathic benefits. Quote, Joyous Growler

There may well be herbal benefits in feeding garlic, but certainly NOT homeopathic ones. Homeopathy involves a specific method of preparation of the substance, not just putting it whole into food.
Hi Burrowzig,

Pleased to meet you.;) And thank you for your kind addition, unfortunately, I expressed myself incorrectly.

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thank you very much for a detailed and concise answer it is very helpful.
I will try each remedy in turn, as I have learned that what works for one dog does not work for another.

I will of course post Harvey's progress and what the outcome is...
Dear Ann, I'm glad I could help you in some way.:)

I have been told that dogs do not like the smell of citrus fruits, does anyone know if spraying under the hedges with a mixture of water and citrus extract would help keep him away?

Obviously I am causious of harm to Harvey...
I also noticed that the dogs don't like the smell of citrus. So, I also apply what Puppy Love suggested.

Anyway, to be cautious has often paid.;)

Cheers,

Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.