UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, about 6weeks ago our cat brought home fleas, we got her some product to put in her neck and that would clear it up we thought. but no, a week later they were still here, so we got a flea spray and sprayed the areas the cat visited. still no success and meanwhile they started to pop up in my bedroom where the cat never goes,
so we put up flea bombers, and sprayed, and vacuumed and we thought we got rid of them. this was two weeks ago,
since the bombing i had seen 2 fleas in the day afterwards and then none after that.
now today i suddenly see one again (mind you i've been vacuuming every other day since the bombing)
noticed my cat has been scratching her neck again but i figured she just had a skin irritation from the fleas when she had them. i gave her another doze of the anti flea stuff 2weeks ago.
and i just don't know what to do now, do i bomb again? do i just keep on vacuuming every other day? i'm at wits end here, this is driving me insane.

if anyone has any advice please please help me.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I suspect you will have flees in the hoover and unwittingly transmitting them to other areas of your home. Probably best to get a company in to fumigate the house and start from scratch, drastic I know but may be what is required.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You need to spray your entire house with a good product like Indorex or Acclaim, not the stuff you can buy in the supermarket, like Bob Martin as they don't work.

Spray furniture, edges of rooms, behind radiators, under beds, everywhere, not just the rooms where the cat goes as fleas will travel on their own or even on your clothing. Try to do it in a way that your cat has a room to be in which is not freshly sprayed.

You also need to use a proper treatment from the vet on your cat, but you should wait 4 weeks between treatments to avoid overloading the cat with chemicals.

Put a cut up flea collar in the vac. bag. and vac. regularly.

The spray, if you buy a proper one, will only be needed once a year. There are others besides the ones I mentioned, which other members will know the names off but the cheap ones are no good ;)

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
What spot on product are you using on your cat? If you have treated the house and the spot on is working then the likelyhood is that the flea eggs are hatching in cycles and this is what you are seeing. A giant pain in the behind but it will finish eventually.

If you are seeing fleas on the cat still and/or the product isn't particuarly effective then because its been going on for a while, I personally would get a professional in, he/she will do a spraying, you can't hoover for a couple of weeks so that the spray kills the larvea as they hatch and then if needs be there is another spraying and its all done.

A really good spot on (I like Advocate) is essential because it turns your cat into a walking flea killer. Its also a good idea to keep a flea collar in the drum or bag of your hoover.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Forgot to say, also wash the cats bedding, and any throws, etc. that you have around.

I use Acclaim for spraying in wardrobes as it doesn't seem to harm any clothing, and Indorex on the floors and furniture.

And empty your vac outdoors when you have used it, but keep the flea collar in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info you all, getting a professional in is for now not an option. they charge a couple hundred don't they? i guess for now i'l just continue vacuuming every other day and hope i'l whittle them down eventually.

Aurelie, you say they are hatching in cycles, so what should i do about that? is the product from the flea bombs still active after 2weeks? (it said it gave year round coverage, but i'm not sure if that's the same as being active)

also i did get the good flea product from the pharmacy not the supermarket,
thanks! its really mind boggling how we have nuclear reactors, a space station, and all kinds of amazing things but fleas are still such a nuisance. get on it scientists! :laugh:

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
thanks for the info you all, getting a professional in is for now not an option. they charge a couple hundred don't they? i guess for now i'l just continue vacuuming every other day and hope i'l whittle them down eventually.

Aurelie, you say they are hatching in cycles, so what should i do about that? is the product from the flea bombs still active after 2weeks? (it said it gave year round coverage, but i'm not sure if that's the same as being active)

also i did get the good flea product from the pharmacy not the supermarket,
thanks! its really mind boggling how we have nuclear reactors, a space station, and all kinds of amazing things but fleas are still such a nuisance. get on it scientists! :laugh:
When I had my little visitation I paid 75 (sorry pound sign on laptop not working) for a professional to come in. Unfortunately when you hoover, as well as hoovering up the fleas, you are also hoovering up the product from the flea bombing/spraying so maybe spray at two weekly intervals for now. It can't last forever - if your cats are protected then there is nothing for the fleas to eat.

You have my sympathies, its a horrible feeling but you probably have broken the back of it by now.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
If you bought a spot on from the chemist, then its likely to have been Frontline, which myself and a lot of other members are now finding to be ineffective. I think this product has been used for that long, that fleas are becoming immune to it.

Get Advocate from the vet because its very effective and not expensive. You can get the RIP Flea spray on Ebay for around £9 which will treat the whole house and last 12 months. If you use both these products together, you will eliminate all fleas in your home within an hour!

·
Banned
12,275 Posts
If you bought a spot on from the chemist, then its likely to have been Frontline, which myself and a lot of other members are now finding to be ineffective. I think this product has been used for that long, that fleas are becoming immune to it.

Get Advocate from the vet because its very effective and not expensive. You can get the RIP Flea spray on Ebay for around £9 which will treat the whole house and last 12 months. If you use both these products together, you will eliminate all fleas in your home within an hour!
Cat fleas in several parts of the UK have now become immune to the frontline that you get from the chemist, believe their is a website dedicated to it somewhere showing the areas

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Ive used a [email protected] fleabomb in the past, overnight in the lounge-diner. Not seen a flea since! But they can be a nightmare! Keep hoovering, cleaning etc. This won`t kill the fleas hopping around but it will suck up the eggs and get rid of the prospective youngsters. I found the spray to be useless.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there
Im sorry to say it but you have to be patient, flea treatment can take from 1-6 months depending on the situation. I recommend that you treat your cat with a spot on product for atleast 3 months straight.

Then you should treat you environment. Spray your house with fleaspray (such as biospotix - which btw is 100 percent natural) your house and leave for some hours. Vacuum daily and remember to throw the dirtbag out immidiatly afterwards.

You should probably wash your pets bedding everyday (remember to do it in over 60 degrees).

You can spray your house again within 2 weeks if needed, because you should do it before larvae turns into cocoons which normally takes 2-3 weeks.

Best regards

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Domino -- as well as using the insecticides on your cat and in the home, you might want to consider getting the Program injection from the vet for your cat. It works by rendering the flea eggs infertile, thereby breaking the life-cycle of the flea. It last for about 6 months.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Since my cats became house/garden cats a year ago, I have never seen a flea or dirt on either cat nor my 4 dogs ! Does anyone else find this? When they roamed I was forever deflea -ing them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi again

I was thinking about something i read recently from a rapport from
one of the big med companies.

It stated that one of the most common mistakes when dealing with fleas is that the spot-on product is not applied right which can cause it not to work efficient. So i recommend that you read or watch a video on how to apply the treatment right.

Best regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.