Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flea Control without chemicals?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Spellweaver, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I just wondered if anyone knows of any remedies for flea control that don't involve chemicals?

As some of you may know, Quinny, my 17 month old border collie was very ill last year (so ill we thought we were going to lose him at one stage) and to cut a long story short he was finally diagnosed with myositis, which is an autoimmnue condition where the body attacks its own muscles. Extensive research by myself and his dam's and sire's breeders have shown nothing like this in his lines - in fact we haven't found any border collie at all who has suffered from this condition - and so the vet's best guess is that it was triggered by a massive allergic response to Frontline, because he started to become ill just after we had used Frontline on him for the first time. (Although the people at Frontline say that this is highly unlikely, and we have used it on all our dogs and cats for years with no problems)

Quinny is now stable and off the steroids and enjoying life to the full as only a border collie can, but obviously I don't want to use Frontline on him ever again. I don't even want to use it on the other dogs now, in case he mouths where we have put the stuff and becomes ill that way. And because his immune system is compromised, I don't really want to use any sort of chemical on him.

Any suggestions, anyone?

2. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I've never used it but I know a lot of people who swear by garlic. You can get it in odourless capsules, but I have no idea of the dosage given.

3. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

there was a new one launched called "billy no mates " by bada i think who should have a website i know they gave a lot out as research in the field last yeare ,and believe its now on general sale

4. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i make up a grooming spray made of essences ............... i never have a problem with fleas. coincidence???

5. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Dont use odourless garlic, the whole point of garlic is fleas dont like the smell or taste. The smellier the better. Sorry Dundee to contradict u slightly:blushing:
    Also citronella, use some of the equine sprays u can get they are all pretty natural.
    They would only deter though, only an insecticide chemical would kill them.

6. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Dynamite Spray is supposed to help, you buy it in concentrate and dilute

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Thanks for correcting me - as I said, I've never used it - only heard about using it from others.

8. ruth9

ruth9 PetForums Member

My Dalmatian is epileptic and my vet has advised me not to use Frontline on her as the last two times I did she had a fit about four hours after application. He said it could have been a coincidence but that it was best to try and manage without it.
    I have some chopped raw garlic in the freezer. Can I add a little of that to her food? Can I give it as it is or does it need cooking? Also, how much and how often should I give her some. She weighs about 30 kilos. Thanks.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

There's a company called Denes who make herbal products for dogs and cats. They used to produce a booklet that had a recipe in for a natural flea repellent. In your situation, I would Google them and ring them up, explain your dog's condition and ask them to recommend a mix you could use safely.

10. Spellweaver

Thanks for all your help folks! I'll look into the suggestions you have made. Dexter, if you don't mind me asking, what essences do you put into your grooming spray?

11. minaret

minaret PetForums Newbie

This has been a fascinating post.

I am looking for a chemical free flea repellent too. I have tried all the chemical flea treatments, and now we have found that no matter which we use they no longer work. my vet has had me rotate various ones. she has even suggested her having more frequent doses (every 2 weeks). I am very reluctant to do this. she is only about 7kg. I have been using lavender pure essential oils mixed in almond oil on her tummy area which is red and itchy and where the fleas seem most rampant. my husband bought a tea tree flea treatment shampoo which has had some effect.

I am curious what the essences are too? please tell!:)

In an aside, about not using too many chemicals when you have pets, a friend had an animal that died of a serious liver problem and the vet told her not to use floor cleaners on the floor tiles as dogs absorb it in their pads and the toxins pass to their liver!!! My tip.. now I use Ecover washing up liquid with a bit of peppermint essential oil in it (lovely scent).:p

12. Spellweaver

13. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

By far the best flea control measure is to feed your dog a raw food diet. Whilst you may find the odd flea, they just don't proliferate, as the diet alters the pH of the skin. Same goes for worms. A raw diet is quickly digested making worm proliferation impossible.

14. Spellweaver

Ooh, I didn't know that! Thanks Madeleine. I don't know much about feeding raw apart from the fact that raw bones are ok to give to dogs, so please bear with me if this is a daft question - aren't dogs at risk of getting worms from raw meat? I'm just asking cos nearly every time we dispense a perscription for worm treatment in people, they blame eating undercooked meat for catching the worms.

15. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

very intresting, didnt know this, so how exactly do i give my dog the garlic? sorry to sound thick but do i give him it raw or cooked also how much?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice