Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

flea and worming

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by davlane, Apr 29, 2011.

1. davlane

davlane PetForums Newbie

my vet has just advised that i start my 8mth old beagle on a monthly dose of advocat what you think ?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Different people have different opinions about spot-ons like advocate. I use it with McKenzie as I like how it treats fleas and worms together, and also lungworm which can be fatal, and she's never had any adverse reaction to it. It doesn't treat for one of the worms though (I think it's tapeworm) so you need to use another wormer like drontal occasionally too.

Some people don't like it as it is essentially putting chemicals on your dog. There are various natural treatments out there too - I use 'Billy No Mates' with the Advocate as it treats fleas but also ticks as well.

What have you been using for fleas and worms up until now?

3. davlane

davlane PetForums Newbie

drontal and frontline every 3 mths is it enough ?

4. sadib888

sadib888 Banned

I use Frontline for the fleas with both my Labs, and never had a flea problem. It is expensive compared to some,

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think you need to do the frontline more often - it says it kills fleas for 2 months and ticks for 1 month.

I don't think Drontal kills lungworm, but could be wrong.

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Advocate and Panacur can be used for the treatment of lungworm, although you have to increase the amounts for Panacur, where as a normal dose of Advocate is enough for the treatment of infestation (I believe). It's highly confusing, as some websites say lungworm can be prevented, and others don't. After reading up on it recently, I don't believe it is preventable, only treatable, as such, I think it's a good idea to use one of the wormers that will treat infestation, such as Advocate, Panacur or Milbemax (although milbemax has it's limitations as it should not be used with collie type breeds), as part of your worming regime.

I personally switch wormers/flea treatments and don't stick to one product consistently, as no one product prevents or treats for all parasites. Sticking to one product also increases the chances of parasites becoming immune to the effects of the product over time.

If you live in an area where your dog is constantly picking up worm/flea/tick infestations, then you would want to stick to the recommended doses. I don't have much of a problem with mine, so treat them two or three times a year, at the times when infestation levels for parasites are at their highest.

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I use Advocate monthly, and then Drontal every 3 months.

8. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

I used Advocate but this month I used Fiproline, next month it'll be Frontline or back to Advocate - I also believe in changing products to avoid immunity ;)

I flea and worm EVERY month because (a) my puppy had not been wormed at all when we got him and (b) although he doesn't exactly "hunt" so doesn't really require worming every month, my cats do, so they all get done at once.

I use Drontal for the puppy and cats wormer :D

9. borderkp

borderkp PetForums Member

Can i use billy-no-mates along side frontline?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice