Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

flea and worming tablets.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by rhian d, Jun 29, 2010.

1. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

I just want to know everyones thought on what the best flea and worm tablets are. We have used spot ons but the cats clean eachother so lick off the flea stuff.I have seen a 2 in 1 wormer and flea tablet or is it best to get separates ? Is there any manufacturer better than others or any I should stay away from. Sorry if they are silly questions.

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

to be honest alot of the spot ons that are in pet shops do nothing. I have always sworn by frontline for fleas ticks etc and drontal for worming, although some use panacur for younger cats kittens or pregnant cats best got from vet or you can order online through vet pet its actually cheaper but you need to know weights of the animals etc for dosage. If not confident to get online id make a trip the the vets or local pets at home sell frontline, drontal.

3. Emma76

Emma76 PetForums Junior

Hi Rhian,

I use Drontal worming tablet and Frontline flea drops.

They can't be bought over the counter like Bob Martin because they're prescription strength. Petsathome have staff authorised to dispense them and I've noticed recently that my local chemist and sainsburys chemist have started stocking them too.

You don't need a vet's prescription to buy them but they're more expensive than the "off the shelf" brands.

From what I've been told they offer a better level of protection & so far my cats not had problems with either. I'm sure there'll be more brands that people can recommend though.

4. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

Thanks guys I was looking in pets at home 2day and they have panacur there and I knew it had been mentioned on here before. I will see what else they have get paid 2moz so will go down on friday.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No harm in checking out diatomaceous earth. Is used for both fleas and worms. For fleas I can also recommend brewer yeast flakes. Sprinkle on their food daily and that keeps fleas at bay.

Personally, I would only flea and worm when they are needed, not prophylactically. Especially worming has a disruptive effect on the gut.

6. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

I use frontline combo spot on every 6 weeks for the fleas & profender spot on wormer every 3 months for internal parasites

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh Hobbs! ALWAYS great advice!
    These drugs use strong chemicals and should always be used with caution!
    ( Says she looking at Milbemax destined for 4 month old kitten tomorrow. Hmm, shall I shan't I? )
    ps where do you buy your brewers yeast flakes? Shall I guess and say the BARF shop?
    A little tip for humans...taking HIGH dose Vit B can protect you against mosquito bites when travelling, and prevent you taking toxic anti-malarials.

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I use Frontline and Drontal. As well as using a house spray every 6 months (it says to use every 12) and i have never ever had any problem with fleas or worms.

With regards to the licking of each other i normally keep mine separate for a couple of hours to stop this.

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

10. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Re the Brewers Yeast Flakes. Are they the same as Brewers Yeast tablets that have been around for many years?

11. eyelicker

eyelicker PetForums Newbie

If you're a frontline user you could check out Effipro. It's made by Virbac who are a major manufacturer of animal vaccines. They use exactly the same chemical as Frontline (fipronil molecule) which up until 2009 the makers of Frontline held the patent for.

I have been using Effipro for the past year and the only difference is the price, Effpro is £10 for 4 pippettes, so considerably cheaper. It's available online the same as Frontline.

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh yes, brewer's yeast has been around for ages. I personally would opt for powder or flakes rather than tablets as you only need a little (a sprinkle each day) and the powder or flakes shouldn't contain any additives while the tablets will need some kind of coating agent such as cellulose or silica.

13. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Thanks Hobbs:)

The flakes seem expensive, so I just thought if it was the same as the tablets, it'd probably be cheaper to grind those down instead. However, I've just looked at the link you posted for the powder, and that works out really cheap to use :)

14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Picked up a HUGE box of brewers yeast powder in Holland and Barratt for less than £4 so that is one more cat supplement on my shelf!

15. Cliffy Byro

Cliffy Byro PetForums Junior

Hmm so to clarify then...are we saying we can use Brewers yeast (sprinkled daily on food) to replace frontline (or similar) for flea treatment/repellant ?

If so, thats sooo cool.:thumbup:

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I use brewer's yeast sprinkled daily (literally a sprinkle) on their food to keep the Vit B up, their coats healthy and fleas at bay. I have frontline here in case they do have fleas but that hasn't happened yet.

They seem to get the occasional nip from things but nothing stays - I presume they are not tasty enough anymore.

I am not guaranteeing that your cats will not have fleas but in my experience it seems to work - also check out stuff on the web, it comes up frequently as a natural flea and tick deterrent.

Personally, I don't treat my cats prophylactically with chemicals, not for fleas or worms.

Hope that helps!

17. peecee

peecee PetForums Senior

What about the diatomaceous earth? Has anyone used that? is it something that is only used if they do get fleas?

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Worms - we used it for our dog and cats in the past - ideally it needs to be given daily if I remember rightly. Just gotten some other natural stuff for my cats (in case they need worming in the near future).

19. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

I agree about not using drugs unless there are signs. Unfortunately I have to get my cats boostered each year because catterys and insurance insist upon it.

I tend to do fleas in spring (frontline) and worm in the summer because they hunt and eat their prey (yuk) but don't in the winter.

How does brewers yeast work to keep fleas off?

20. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Don't quote me on this but I believe it changes their taste. So cats or dogs don't taste as nice as they apparently don't like the smell of brewers yeast. So they don't come back and don't stay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice