Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flea and worming queen

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by louise wright, Jun 18, 2017.

1. louise wright

louise wright PetForums Junior

Hey there just a quick question how long do wait after my cat has given birth to flea and worm her as she due to be done in the next couple of days but she had the kittens yesterday or doesnt it matter and it doesnt effect it in any way thanks louise

2. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Does she have fleas & worms then?
    I just don't get why people use pesticide & that is what the flea treatments are, if they don't have fleas. My Vet will not prescribe flea treatment for routine treatments. You wouldn't trat your kids for headlice if they didn't have them would you?
    I know this is only a personal opinion, but, it seems to be why the flea treatments you can now buy over the counter, no longer work.

3. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello, I am sure the expert breeders will come along and give their invaluable advice. I would say ask your vet to be sure, especially with wormer!

4. louise wright

Hey there no she doesnt have worms or fleas i get my 3 cats and 1 dog done every six weeks and they never have had or ever will get them i mean fleas are the worst especially when its a hot day and there eggs start to hatch and your animal is uncomtable and your covered in bites because you didnt realise they had fleas so well why not just do a regular treatment that keep you and your pets happy and actually i do put a headlice repellent on my childrens hair once a week so yeah i suppose i do lol better to be safe than sorry and i never use over the counter flea and worm treatment i only ever buy from the vets and they have it ready for me every six weeks thanks louise

5. louise wright

Hey there thats exactly what i was thinking well if none of the breeder experts get back i will ring the vets tomorrow thanks louise

6. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Misinformation About Head Lice
    Myths and misinformation may be helping your kids get head lice over and over again, too, and definitely help keep stress levels up.

This misinformation might include that:

• kids with short hair are less likely to get head lice (they aren't)
    • special shampoos and conditioners can keep your kids from getting head lice (they don't)
    • nits are always a sign that your child has an active head lice infestation (they aren't)
    • no-nit policies help keep lice out of schools (they don't)
    • home remedies can prevent and treat lice (there is no evidence that they do)
    • it is easy to manually remove live lice to treat an infestation (it can be done, but since the average child has at least 10 lice scurrying around, it certainly isn't easy)
    • you have to remove all of the nits (you don't necessarily since the recommended retreatment in nine days should kill hatching nits, but removing nits does make it easier to spot new nits and to know the infestation is truly gone)
    • you should call your pediatrician for a prescription lice treatment (you should use OTC lice medications, like Rid or Nix first, but only when you are sure your child has an active lice infestation and not just nits)

If you run a flea comb through their fur every day, you will see when they have the odd flea & can treat then. The worms you can see in the pooh!
    Sure, if you ignore your cats with fleas for weeks, your whole house will become infested & you may get bitten etc, but, if you look after them properly, you spot the odd one, or two before it becomes a problem. My indoor cats never get treated for fleas - they don't go out, so cannot possibly catch them. Fleazanall gets a quick comb as he is eating every day, neck, down spine & bottom, no fleas - no treatment.As for worming tablets, again, Fleaz has milbemax twice a year, the others don't get done at all. Ask your vet if the treatments are necessary.

7. louise wright

Hey well im sure what youve said well may be true but my children never have nits because when they started school they were coming home with nits everyday i would denit them then they would go to school the next day and have them again and to be honest it really got on my nerves so i started looking into headlice treatment and ways to repell them and i have tried so many things that did not work and i spent alot of money to find out that pure tea tree oil on the hair overnight actually does the job and also my kids never go to school with there hair down and i can honestly say i feel like ive cracked it

And my animals are just like my children aswell so with fleas and worming i dont think i will ever stop doing it every 6 weeks and my cats are not indoor cats so if i stopped the treatment they would most likely come home with them both so like i said better to be safe than sorry

8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Yes you can and should worm your queen, but what do you normally use? There is also a myth that if a cat has worms you will see them in their poo. No, you won't necessarily.

She may well not have worms, but roundworm can encyst and in that form they are immune from any wormer. The hormone changes at the end of pregnancy stir the cysts back into life and they can cross into the kittens in her milk, hence it's yes to worming her and when they are older the kittens.

I take it you are keeping her in, so where would she get fleas from?

9. louise wright

Hey there thankyou for getting back to me i use frontline from the vets im not sure the worming stuff is that brand aswell but i have rang to put there flea and worming stuff at the end of the week

And no shes not been out yet the kittens are now 3days old and shes being a fantanstic mum and i also have 2 other cats that go out so when she comes down for her breakfast and tea she still likes to eat with them so she could catch for them thanks louise

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

She will get pregnant again if you let her out before she is spayed. If you are getting flea & worm stuff from the vet why ask us if they are OK?

11. louise wright

Hey she cant get pregnant again as my male cat has been done and the other one is a female and i asked you as when i do its a automatic service were i leave my details and they put the stuff out so i dont actually talk to anyone and there was no point getting them to put it out and pay for it if she couldnt be done thanks louise

12. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

She still needs spaying.

13. louise wright

And i have already had the vouchers from the cats protection league sent to the vets ready for when her milk drys up and her kittens are only afew days old

14. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Thats fab, although her milk will not dry up when the kittens are a few days old.

15. Franlow

Franlow Guest

What a shame you didn't get her done before she had kittens, there are hundred of thousands of kittens & cats without homes in rescue centres :(

16. louise wright

Im not stupid the vouchers are valid until september

17. louise wright

And well its a good job i already have 3 lovely homes for them to go to and before anybody says it i know they cant leave there mother until 10/11 weeks old anybody else want to have a dig

18. Franlow

Franlow Guest

You may have 3 lovely homes, but, if you had had your cat spayed, those 3 homes could have gone to rescue cats / kittens. Nobody said you were stupid, nor, are they having a dig it is just that people like you, who don't have their cats spayed cause endless problems for rescue sites. Why did you have the boy done & not the girl???

19. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

13 weeks actually, and it was you who suggested her milk would dry up after a few days.

Franlow likes this.
  20. louise wright

Wow this is stupid if you read what i put it says basically i already had the tokens at the vets and i will get her done but her kittens are only afew days old so obvisley i cant get her sprayed yet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice