Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flat Smells of Dog and Tested Products suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LolaPup2013, Aug 28, 2013.

1. LolaPup2013

LolaPup2013 PetForums Member

Hey everyone, as we are in a flat and use the livingroom for Lola during the day we find it smells of dog now, in the sense of the occassional accidents she has, we have a carpet and eventually will be decorating - however in the meantime and its pointless to get a new carpet etc while she still has odd accidents. Ive scrubbed the carpet and spray airfreshener and have a full length door window which i open daily but still if i go out and come in i can smell it. Im not expecting a flat smelling of roses - perks of being a dog owner :D

But can anyone recommmend a good product or any tips at all?

Thanks guys :p

2. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

I use this in the house and also to clean outside areas, in the house it's watered down and I use it in a spray bottle, we don't have accidents anymore but when we did we used this.

http://mistralie.co.uk/products/odourfresh-pet-disinfectant-standard

Comes in different fragrances Bubble Gum being my favorite, it's also a disinfectant :)

I also use it to mop floors, I spray it over the carpet before hoovering etc... Wipe out crate with it, and rise Cians bedding with it also, oh and the cats litter trays and bedding, I don't think my house smells of dog, but then as Cian is on raw I don't think he smells of dog either :D

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I clean accidents up with kitchen spray - my dogs are old enough to only go when they cannot hold it any more and I've not had problems with them going over the same spot again. But an enzyme cleaner is the better :)

As for the lingering smell - scented candles are the best. You can pick up really good ones in Home Bargains. I've just picked up one for £1.99 and the back door is open but I can smell it from the dining room, through the kitchen, past the door and into the living room, but it isn't an over powering one :)

4. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Yankee candles.. love them :)

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The only other advice I can add, is to check filters on a vacuum, and clean them as regularly as you can. I only say this since I know that my room tends to smell rank if I do not do this and once I have hoovered, the smells gets worse and lingers. I must admit some vacuum cleaners are more efficient than others at eliminating odours, and some just make the place smell a thousand times worse, after being used.

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Simple Solution (can get it in Wilkinsons). Fantastic stuff, enzymes remove all smell and erase stains. You really can't see any trace of the marks on the carpet and it removed fresh blood immediately when Rue cut her pad and left about a hundred bloody pawprints in the living room on the light grey carpet!

Importantly as well, as the enzymes remove the smell, the dog isn't attracted back to the same spot.

7. Huskybob

Huskybob PetForums Member

8. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

I use wax melts, and also hoover freshners, were in a flat and i am so paranoid about the flat smelling as we have also been training our 6 month old rescue, i clean the accidents with bio washing powder

#8 LolaBoo, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  9. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I like lavender essential oil sprinkled onto the filters in the hoover and onto carpet.

Agree about using scented candles.

I do like Sainsbury's multi purpose orange scented cleaner, it smells great I use it on floors and surfaces.

I wash my dog bed regularly at 40 degrees and keep dog leads in the porch.

I did also find my dog less stinky either using teatree shampoo or this one

Shampoo Cucumber Melon by Nootie | Pets at Home

were good leave the shampoo on for at least a minute before rinsing. Obviously you don't want to be bathing often.

Regular brushing and removing old dead coat helps with the smell. I don't know what breed you have but I love an undercoat rake.

Check ears for dirt as waxy dirty ears make your dog smell.

If your dog is very, very smelly it might be worth looking at what you are feeding my dog was very smelly on kibble but when I switched her to raw the smelliness went. Don't forget teeth cleaning makes a big difference. I also wash my dogs face with a damp flannel after eating but that's because she has a beard.

Then again it could just be that you are like me can't stand the smell of puppy and are very sensitive to it (waits to be beaten up by the rest of the forum). I think puppies have a distinctive smell which I find horrible all my friends like it :eek:, when my dog became a few months older the horrible smell went away.

10. Strawberryearth

Strawberryearth PetForums VIP

As well as ensuring that the carpet/other areas are clean using enzymatic cleaners etc. A cheap and easy way to eliminate odours in carpets is to sprinkle plenty of bicarb of soda onto them...make sure the carpet is dry first! This is a natural odour absorber, leave it for a few hrs and then hoover it off.

Or you could rent a RugDoctor carpet cleaner- I intend to do this to liven up my carpet.

11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Bio is the stuff to use, not non-bio, as the enzymes digest the smell. This is why Simple Solution works so well. I used to use bio washing powder/liquid, but SS is even better.

12. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I rinse Millie after any walk which she gets damp - As in pop her in the bath a warm rinse to remove dirt / dead hair and towl dry her.

I possibly maybe have a 'Stink Bomb' dog spray which I 'spritz' her with :eek: It smells so yummy!

I wash sofa covers every 3 months (Where she sleeps) :thumbup1:

Hoover every 2 days :thumbup1:

Leads / collars washed every 3-4 weeks or as required (Nothing worse than doggy smell post swimming :eek:)

To be honest I have just never had a problem with 'doggy' smell at all. :eek: I ask all my friends / family who dont have dogs as they come in (As non dog people seem to notice more :eek:).

I am slightly OTT about it il admit but I dont want anyone to 'know' we have a dog just by smelling my home :eek:

13. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

If you don't want lit candles in the house you could use essential oil diffusers - the ones with the reeds. They really work and they're cheap to refill if you use your own oils and reeds. And it's really fun finding different blends!

14. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I have used Zybax Odourmaster for years. Enzyme solution that can be used on all surfaces either wiping. mopping or spraying.

15. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

After i typed i realised i ment bio was going to edit it but got distracted by the dogs
    Have edited it now :)

16. LolaPup2013

LolaPup2013 PetForums Member

Thank you all so much for your replies :)

It really isnt Lola herself that smells. And its not a terrible smell, not brilliant though lol its more because in the early days of training its always really been the living room shes been in. So every accident has been absorbed by the carper. We did have a odur spray which wasnt the best and now realised we need to try something else.

Thank you all so much. Will defo be trying these. And never thought about candles - what a good idea. We dont have many places to keep them lit but could light one in kitchen and one in livingroom if supervised as have the wee one who is proving to be playing up more than the puppy - roll on Sept for first day at Nursery :lol:

We wash her bedding every week. And hoover every 2-3days. We will defo buy a carpet sprinkle thing and hoover over it hopefully that helps too.

It really is just self conscious as we are in a flat and wouldnt like anyone to notice.

:)

17. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

These things are amazing I highly recommend them
    Fragrance Lamps by Ashleigh & Burwood
    They are a bit pricey initially but you don't use much oil. I only need to put one on for 30 mins in one room & it fills the entire house.

18. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

I find vanish carpet foam is great - not just for cleaning stains but also it gets rid of the smell very swiftly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice