Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Flat coat retriver cross fox terrier

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Colwood, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Colwood

Colwood PetForums Newbie

This is my first post so sorry if this isn't the right place I have come across some flat coat retrivers that are crossed with a fox terrier and wondered if anyone has come across this match before I'm asking as my daughter has seen them and although I know of each breed but not sure of combination of the breed together Could any one give advice any would be greatful

2. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Was it an accidental mating - or did the breeder deliberately cross these breeds?

I don't know about Fox Terriers but I can tell you that Flatcoats do need to have certain health tests before being bred from. Any breeder who does not do these tests is an unethical breeder and your daughter should RUN.

If she wants an unusual crossbreed, there are some cracking dogs in rescues, all waiting for caring new homes :)

Flatcoats are fab but they are big, strong, intelligent and often very lively dogs :) Goodness knows what a Flatcoat x Fox Terrier would be like - seems like an odd combination to me, personally.

I'm sure your daughter would rather support a rescue or a decent breeder?

If I'm wrong, and this breeder has done all the relevant health tests on both parent dogs, then that is a different matter.

3. Colwood

Colwood PetForums Newbie

Thanks for advice I think we will look for a pure flat coat for her as this is what she has set her heart on Thanks again Also to
    say that I'm not sure if this was a mistake or not But I also haven't heard of this before hence why I wanted to know if anyone had come across this one

4. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

great choice @flatcoat :D

And yes every flatcoat has to have all health checks done before they can sell them on or breed with them.

5. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

I agree with the above comments - flatties are great :D but sounds like a rather strange mix.

Flatties do need health checks (like other breeds) - but they're amazing dogs :D I'm not at all biased ;)

6. Owned By A Yellow Lab

If you message SLEEPING LION she may be able to point you in the direction of a few decent Flattie breeders - she has a gorgeous Flattie girl herself and is very dedicated to ethical breeding practices :)

Flatties are fab :)

7. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

I am in contact with most breeders ! ahem lol ;)

and perry is gorgeous too :D

8. Owned By A Yellow Lab

LOL yes Perry is gorgeous too :D

Maybe you too can help point the OP in the right direction :)

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I happen to know of a nice litter planned for Spring 2014, will be fully health tested, and the stud dog is one I'd consider using for Rhuna but I think he'll be just that bit too old by then, so the one I'm looking at is a son of this boy. Would be happy to put the OP in touch with the breeder :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice