Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fixing up the N64

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cat001, Apr 5, 2017.

1. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

We've actually got 2 N64's, one that works most of the time and one that barely worked so I decided to have a go at getting it back to working order. The actual fix was really easy, grab a bit of cloth and some metal polish and use a card (I used my provisional licence) to wedge it into the cartridge slot to clean the contact points. I wanted to go a step further though and actually make sure the whole console was clean. I also had issues with all of my controllers, particularly one that you needed to push so hard on it hurt your thumb and the other constantly turning left.

Completely dismantled

[​IMG]

The nasty grime that needed cleaning off

[​IMG]

Inside the joystick pad before cleaning, all that powder is from wear and tear as the bottom of the joystick rubs against the plastic floor underneath, causing the joystick to drop and not function properly anymore.

[​IMG]

Same pad after cleaning and repair

[​IMG]

The piece of plastic I made to fit on the bottom of the joystick so it lifts it up and fixes the problem caused by wear and tear.

[​IMG]

Then on to cleaning the console..

This was the initial dirt I found inside...

[​IMG]

Fully dismantled and cleaned

[​IMG]

Putting it back together

[​IMG]

N64 Console and Controller now cleaned and fixed. The console now works with every game with no issues whatsoever, and the controller is lovely and smooth.

[​IMG]

Recently also cleaned up the Super Nintendo and Sega Megadrive too!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very satisfying!

You should start a business. Probably a very useful and money saving service :)

cat001 likes this.
  3. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

That's not a bad idea! I should be getting a new cable for the megadrive soon so I can finally test it out, can't wait!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

Get that Zelda cartridge in and play it, my all time favourite game on any Nintendo console. :D

cat001 likes this.
  5. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

Recently I stripped down the Super Nintendo and cleaned it up but wasn't happy with how it's discoloured over the years so started treating it with hydrogen peroxide and a UV light.

How it looked before treatment, only the top half of the casing was discoloured.

[​IMG]

Coated in the peroxide and placed under the UV lamp for the night

[​IMG]

How it looks today!

[​IMG]

Compared with the untreated front panel (which wasn't as badly discoloured as the rest of the casing)

[​IMG]

I'm putting it through one more treatment tonight and then sitting it in the sun tomorrow (if we get any sun) then it should be done!

PawsOnMe and samuelsmiles like this.
  6. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

Have completed it many times, including Master Quest version on the gamecube :D Definitely one of the best games on the system! :D

Mr Gizmo likes this.
  7. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Thats impressive getting the coloring back to normal, always kinda figured that when something goes that color that its often too late to do anything to fix it.

8. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

My friend uses pretty much the same technique for removing stains from dolls. It's actually a hair product I use, cream peroxide 12% 40 Vol. It's also meant to bring the structural integrity back to the plastic too.

stuaz likes this.
  9. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

If that's what it does to plastic, imagine what it's doing to your hair. :eek: :D

10. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

I think I'd see visible smoke if I put this stuff on my hair lol

11. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

You could definitely make this a business, restoring old games consoles to their former glory.

12. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I hope this doesn't sound patronising cos I honestly don't mean it to .... but.... it's just so nice to see someone actually repairing something these days!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice