UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"One in five workers in the UK is paid less than required for a basic standard of living, a report has said.

The proportion is much higher among waiters and bar staff, at up to 90% of workers, the research for accountants KPMG suggested.

It said that nearly five million people failed to command the living wage - a pay packet that enabled a basic standard of living.

The rate stands at £8.30 an hour in London and £7.20 in the rest of the UK.

This rate is voluntary, unlike the National Minimum Wage - the amount that employers must pay by law, which is set at £6.19 an hour for those aged 21 and over."
BBC News - Five million paid less than living wage, says KPMG

"Mark Constantine, co-founder of cosmetics chain Lush, said he was encouraged to pay the living wage by staff at a Christmas party.

"I basically got cornered," he said. "Staff explained the situation to me."

He said that the advantage was that staff did not feel they needed to take on other jobs.

"They are not exhausted, and not worried about paying their rent."

He said that there were affordability issues for employers. Lush has introduced the living wage for staff in London and is "working towards" paying it in the rest of the UK.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I get minimum wage in one job,and £6.93 an hour, in another.
£7.20 would be very nice:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
I think bar staff earn less that what is considered a livable wage, because they get tips, and don't declare so they actually get a little bit more money that what it says in the wage packet. I roughly make £130 a month from 2 days a week at work from tips, but don't declare as I earn £4000 under the taxable wage.

If I was full time, I'd probably earn £325 a month from tips based on what I get on average for 2 days a week! = nearly £4000 a year extra which I know in my place they don't declare!

·
Premium Member
33,952 Posts
Wow, if I was working a 37 hour week I'd be getting £3.24 an hour. That's how my pension works out.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Technically I get £7.19 an hour but I lose my location pay if I do overtime or am on holiday like this week. So that puts it down to £6.85 as my *proper* hourly wage without add ons. I would have thought it was lower than seven quid, I don't think my pay is too bad but then I'm a student living at home I don't pay rent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.