Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

FIV

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ExD, Apr 20, 2021.

1. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

My (adult) grandson has adopted a gorgeous cat from a rescue centre and he and his girlfriend are besotted with her.
    Someone has spoiled it for him by telling him scare stories about FIV being endemic in the town's rescue centres and told him to get rid of her because she's bound to be infected (the cat not the girlfriend).
    How can we find accurate accounts of this problem?
    I want to reassure him not frighten him rigid.

2. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

If the cat is FIV negative currently, and is kept indoors, or in a catproofed garden, the risk is nearly non-existent for her to catch FIV. If he’s unsure of her status, she should be tested, as certain precautions need to be taken if she *is* positive.

3. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Thank you. I assume a vet will do a blood test and would advise about care. Can humans be infected through a bite (eg during play)?

4. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

No, only cats can be infected from bites. However, if a cat bites and breaks the skin, you should really go and get an antibiotic shot, regardless, as cat mouths are pretty full of bacteria, so there’s a high risk of infection,

5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Blood test is done while you wait (but you can get a false positive). No, she won't infect her owners, and she would have to get into quite a fight to infect another cat and give a deep bite. And it's normally Toms that are FIV+ (not always - I had a pregnant FIV+ girl who most likely got it from an infected Tom. She could pass it on to her seven kittens, but kept in touch with five of the owners over ten years and all cats are clear).

Lunarags and Maurey like this.
  6. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

It’s probable the rescue already tested her before rehoming.
    It’s common practice with the rescues I support.

Tigermoon and Calvine like this.
  7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

He could ring the rescue and ask if they tested the cat?

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Arny:
    I think if they did test for FIV and it was positive they would be obliged (morally, at least, one hopes) to advise a prospective owner of the fact. I would hope so anyway.

9. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

If your grandson should decide to have his cat FIV tested i would strongly advise asking for a PCR test.

The first line test is called an ELISA test and in my experience (and fellow breeder friends) these tests are fraught with false positives. A friend spent a very unsettling few weeks three years ago when three of her young cats tested positive for FIV and another for FeLV. All three were shown to be negative on PCR tests which were repeated twice.

It may be however that some vets insist on an initial ELISA test.

spotty cats and Maurey like this.
  10. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

The rescue should have given him a copy of the cat's medical history as far as they know it including what tests and vaccinations they had carried out. If they haven't then as suggested, I would phone and ask what they have done.

11. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Whomever told your grandson that needs to be quietly taken out back and dispatched! Probably a cat hater.
    It is unlikely the cat has FIV as Rescue centres usually test cats that come in as a matter of course. Those who are positive for FIV are either put down or, more likely these days, rehomed to fully informed indoor only homes. However he could ring the rescue and double check if he is worried.

huckybuck and Jackie C like this.
  12. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone, I'll pass on all the information.

13. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Whoever told your son that is ignorant and obviously hates cats!
    Most rescue places routinely check for FIV, and will inform potential owners of this. And it's not the automatic death sentence it used to be, either.
    I'm glad your son and his girlfriend love the cat, and I'm glad the cat has found a couple who love her, too. xx
    Can we have pictures?

Calvine likes this.
  14. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

I don't have many pics, we live 200 miles apart, so I only have the ones he sends me. Sorry its so large, I just copied it.

[​IMG]

15. Charity

She's a beauty but I'm biased over gingers :D

16. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

She's a 'he' and certainly he's a handsome cat. I think there's some Siamese in there, apparently he's ' very vocal'. Anyway, he looks very content.

17. Charity

Oh, you said she in your first message. Most gingers are boys though have known a few girls.

18. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

She's very pretty....sorry, he.

Yes, we had a ginger female when I was a kid.

19. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

It's generally recommended to test 60 days after the last possible infection exposure.

If tested on intake and then adopted out during the intubation period the cat may not be negative so a re-test is needed.

20. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

They did think he was a she. He rang the rescue people and that was when they realised what sex he is. (as a farmer's wife I found it quite amusing but did 't let on).
    He'd already been neutered, but its their first cat and his face does look feminine (I'm told neutered Toms do lose that 'lion' face) and the couple are only in their 20's, hence the panic over FIV. Yes, I did think he was a she because that's what I was told, \living so far away I haven't seen him yet, in fact I haven't met the girlfriend yet either :) ). Now we need a new name instead of Tallulah.
    (spelling?)

#20 ExD, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice